Been one of those days...

Discussion in 'MISSOURI LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by Mr.T, Aug 26, 2006.

1. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    Had been planning to take the kids down to Truman today for some drift fishing - I was going to let them do the fishing and I'd keep the hooks baited. Sounds like a simple enough plan, eh?

So went out Friday evening to Blue Springs lake to get shad and caught plenty of nice ones in about 30 minutes and got them into the Grayline tank to keep them lively. Added a couple bags of ice along with some more chlorine and ammonia remover later in the evening to bring the temperature down and keep them happy overnight.

Woke up this morning to rain showers in the area but forecast was for a fairly decent day down at the lake so got the kids up and started getting ready to go. Went to check on the shad and found that every last one of them was dead - best I can tell, I put too much ice too quickly and the shock of the temperature change killed them. They were all stiff as a board and red as a beet and I know better than to try to use that kind of stuff for bait.

No big deal - I'll just load everybody up and head back to Blue Springs Lake to get some more shad, then down to Truman. Spent 45 minutes throwing the net in the same place as last evening and caught just 2 shad to show for it. Guess the storms overnight drove them out into deeper water or something. Gave up and loaded the boat back on the trailer.

By now, it's almost 10am and getting too late in the day to drive all the way to Truman Lake, but the kids are insistent that they want to go. So I give in and decide to stop in Windsor on the way to see about catching some shad from the city pond where they've always been easy to find.

About 15 miles out of Windsor (and 60 miles from home), it occurs to me that I've left the drift socks at home. With the rod holders on the back of the boat, there's no way to drift properly without the socks - the boat would turn sideways to the wind and that's no good.

So we turned around and drove home and I've spent the afternoon cleaning the garage instead of fishing.

Some days it just doesn't pay to chew through the leather restraints...:sad2:

2. Bigmagic

Bigmagic New Member

State:
    Edwards Missouri
    Marty, I'm going to chastise you a little bit, you should have loaded em up and came anyway. Driftfishing is very productive and my favorite way to fish with kids but with a good sonar unit(which you have) finding some fish wouldn't have been difficult. Remember to a kid just getting to go is great,catching fish only counts if your keeping score. I'm sure they would have had a good time. If I were you I would alternate between drifting and still fishing once in a while anyway since drifting can be very addictive but you need to be able to find fish when the wind and weather doesn't allow it. Kudos to ya for wanting to take em fishing but don't make it about the fish. Heck just throwing rocks in the water can be a lot of fun! See ya on the water!

3. Catman

Catman New Member

State:
    Randolph, Nebraska
    Sometimes the shad refuse to co-operate and stay alive. Just a suggestion but you could have used the dead shad as cut-bait and drifted anyways. I have caught many o' channel and blue on already dead cut shad. Although sometimes the cats like to hear the heartbeat of the shad..

4. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    The problem Ron is that my rod holders are mounted for fishing out the rear of the boat - without the drift socks, the boat turns broadside into the wind.

And yeah, I probably could have anchored somewhere and still-fished, but compared to drifting, it's incredibly boring. Especially for a 6 year old. Drifting produces a steady stream of fish and keeps the youngsters interested.

There'll be another day when things will go a bit smoother. Might bring them down on Labor Day since nothing else is going on around here and most of the city folk will be headed home by then...

Had considered taking my older boy with me out on the Missouri River today, but checked the levels and it's up about 3 feet from Friday - I'm too new to the river to be messing around in that kind of current, especially with a young one to keep an eye on. So will finish cleaning the garage and my workshop instead. Big fun!

5. Bigmagic

Bigmagic New Member

State:
    Edwards Missouri
    I've been wanting to bring my boat to KC to do a little fishing. I worry more about leaving my truck at any of the parks though. I'm sure I'll get up there before winter sits in.

Tough luck about the fishing trip. I can tell your "hooked on drifting" as most people who learn to do it soon are. Just remember the action can be just as fast when your "on fish" still fishing. I wish you would have taken a trip with Jeff Williams while he was still in the area. Jeff boats an incredible number of fish still fishing and while he runs and guns he's fantastic at locating feeding fish.

This has been a great year for your catfishing Marty you sound much more confidant than the guy who used to post under your login.(lol) I'm glad to see it! See ya on the water!

6. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    Come on up to the river, Ron - you can put in at La Benite Park (291 hwy north of Independence) and it's really pretty safe - I haven't been worried at all about parking there (though just got a new F-150 that might be a better target...) That ramp is patrolled by the Sugar Creek police department and I've seen them in the area numerous times.

Or you can go a little farther east on Mo 210 to the Cooley Lake access east of Missouri City - it's way out in the country so shouldn't attract much attention. There was a sherrif patrolling there at 2am the night I fished with Dave Coleman.

You couldn't pay me enough to leave my truck at Riverside Park in the dark. Kaw Point was surprisingly safe the one time I was there, and I know BradK and others here use it all the time with no problems. It's well lit and in a busy industrial area. Not sure of the legality of launching from the Kansas side with a Missouri fishing permit though - more likely to be a problem if you come in with fish and a KDWP officer happens to be there...

Wish I could have fished with Jeff Williams also - but I've leaned a bunch from Steve Brown too and he's gracious enough to accept my constant phone calls about one thing or another. Planning to go out with him again this winter if we get some rain and the water below Truman is moving a bit.

And thanks for the compliments - I really feel like I've learned a lifetime of fishing "stuff" in the last year. Hard to believe it was just 1 year ago the first time I ever heard of "drift fishing" and all the arguing I had to go through with my dad to convince him we should try it... :smile2:

7. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    Naa all the ramps in kansas city are about the same. Never had any trouble at any of them. The thing about river front is it closes at midnight and they lock the gate. Ron I don't know how screwed up these fish are right now fishing saturday night was a pain in the butt. Cold front and rain moved in. Going to hit the river tonight see if they want to bite now. Looks like it's now jacket season for everynight on the river from here on out.

8. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    Josh,
    River front park closes @ 10 pm!!!!! Trust Me I know I got locked in one night. Thats the only prob I've ever had at any of the ramps! (knock on wood)

9. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    "more likely to be a problem if you come in with fish and a KDWP officer happens to be there"

I'm not sure either, but no problem if you do catch and release. I ran into the Missouri Department of Conservation doing a survey there once, which struck me as odd, being in Kansas and all.

10. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    Yeah Gary I have been seeing a MDC truck and trailer parked at kaw point off and on all summer/spring on my way home.

11. gcarlin

gcarlin New Member

State:
    Richmond ,Indiana
    Some days it just seems that nothing will go right. but then theres always the next time.