Been having trouble catching bait

Discussion in 'Bluegill Fishing' started by MR SANDMAN 800, Oct 4, 2006.

1. MR SANDMAN 800

MR SANDMAN 800 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I'd been having trouble catching bluegill for bait using bobber and jighead baited w/ a piece of nightcrawler. They'd keep taking my bait after tapping it once or twice...not even enough of a bite to set the hook on. It got on my nerves real quick. I remembered I had some very small treble hooks and decided to try one instead of the single hook. I put a small splitshot about 3/4 of an inch above the hook and have my bobber set a couple feet above the hook. I slid the piece of worm on just one of the hooks. I started by sliding the hook through the center of the worm and I brought the hook out of the worm's skin toward the top end of the worm piece. I then slid it down just so it's covering the barb of the hook. The reason I stuck it through the skin is so it'd hold on the hook a little better. I tried it and it worked very well...I haven't had a fish steal my bait yet..the only time i've had to change baits is when they've struck the worm enough times that the guts of the worm are gone..they don't seem to like just the outside of the worm too much...the treble is a little trickier to get the fish off sometimes, but it's a lot better catching the fish than having to rebait...hope this helps somebody...here are some pics...

2. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Jamie, Blue gills like a lite natural presentation, try this brother. Use 6# line or less, then tie on a #6 j hook( long shanks work better for getting the hook out) Put an 1/8 or up to 3 1/16 split shot about 8 to 10 Inches up your line. Put only a small piece of worm on the hook about a half an inch is enough. Make sure that the barb is exposed. You don't need a bobber. When you cast let the bait drop slowly to the bottom and wait. If they are not taking it this way then cast, retrieve slowly for a ways then let the bait drop. Gills suspended in the water will follow it then strike after it drops. Keep this up till you locate the gills. Watch your line at all times, when you see it move sideways or toward you set the hook. most times they practicaly hook them selves, You can catch a lot of gills off of one bait, and have a lot of fun too!

3. Dmitri

Dmitri New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Great Post Jack. personally I would just get some crickets and little hooks and head out.

4. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    I usually start with a bobber, but if I'm not catching anything I will take it off, and sometimes that makes a huge difference. They just don't seem to strike the bait at times unless it settles to the bottom.

5. MR SANDMAN 800

MR SANDMAN 800 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Thanks for the help Jack.