Been fishing on the Wabash??

Discussion in 'ILLINOIS RIVERS TALK' started by tm509, Feb 10, 2006.

1. tm509

tm509 New Member

State:
    central IL
    It is still a little early for me, but anyone else doing any good on the Wabash River?

2. tm509

tm509 New Member

State:
    central IL
    guess no one else has been fishin' on the wabash. :)

3. slimcat

slimcat New Member

State:
    marion kentucky
    Travis, what part of the wabash do you fish? I fish down towards the mouth where it enters the ohio.

4. tm509

tm509 New Member

State:
    central IL
    slimcat, I fish about 3 miles south of Palestine IL. (as the crow flies) Mainly handlines, but on long weekends we will set up bank poles.

5. Doyle

Doyle New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Can you eat the fish from the Walbash, in past years it was not a good place to eat fish from.

6. tm509

tm509 New Member

State:
    central IL
    Doyle, I usually do not eat the fish that comes out of the Wabash. My son and I just try to land a "BIG" fish. There are several places along the river that you can stop and buy fish, catfish, carp, just about anything you would like. Also, there are a ton of hoop nets and trot lines up and down the river-which leads me to believe that people do eat fish out of the river quite often.The consumption advisory from the IL DNR basically states 1 meal a week for any catfish over 19". But that still worries me.

7. Doyle

Doyle New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I,ve never fished the Walbash but have driven over it in several places and always thought it would be a great catfish river.... but in some spots it used to look real messy with junk. Times have changed and as a whole, our rivers are probally better than they used to be, thanks to all the laws.

8. malaki

malaki New Member

State:
    Redmon Illinois
    we keep talking about going down to darwin but never made it. my nehpew caught a 5' sturgeon there. all he ever talks about. lol

9. tm509

tm509 New Member

State:
    central IL
    the biggest fish that i have pulled out of the river was a blasted carp!

10. Chief

Chief New Member

State:
    Indiana
    i fish the wabash in indiana by lafayette. no luck as of yet. weather is gettin nice though

11. Droptine

Droptine New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I fish the Wabash frequently around Darwin. I find it to be a very good medium sized river for fish 1 to 4 pounds.

12. Jbuck

Jbuck Well-Known Member

State:
    il
    Hey slimcat, I own a place east of Cave In Rock and fish up around the mouth of the Wabash once in awhile also. Could be I'll run across you one of these days.