Been catfishing the Big Manistee River

Discussion in 'MICHIGAN RIVERS TALK' started by eyeguy, Jun 26, 2008.

1. eyeguy

eyeguy New Member

State:
    Michigan
    Just came home to check on things and thought I would check the site to see what others have been doing. The Mrs and I have been camped on the Big Manistee near Mesick since Saturday and have been catching a few fish. She has caught three cats the largest 7lbs 3oz and one 27 inch northern. I caught four two nights ago the largets about 4lbs. All have been perfact eatin size and some have been released to the grease. A friend in camp has caught 9 since we got there so fishing has been pretty good even though the water is still brown. If I can figure out how to post photos I will do so when we get home.
    Tight lines.
    eyeguy

2. DLB-in-GR

DLB-in-GR New Member

State:
    MI
    Thanks for the update, sounds like a great time. I wish I could take a week and camp and fish to my hearts content. Did you do most of your fishing at night, or during the day? I fish Sessions Lake quite a bit and that State Park closes at 10pm so I don't get to do much night time fishing, but the channel cats do bite some during the day. Between 11 am and 4pm though it seems like I am just wasting my time, I have only done well in the morning or evening.

3. eyeguy

eyeguy New Member

State:
    Michigan
    I just noticed your reply, sorry about lettin it go so long. We fished mostly in the evening from 7pm to 1030pm, used mostly small bluegills, perch and chicken liver. Basically still fished from a boat but did some bank fishing too. Some of the fish hit like a ton of bricks while others would thump the bait and then you would have to feed them a little line and wait till they moved with it and then set the hook. The northern was caught while I rowed the boat and she cast a rapala along the bank. I spoke with a friend of mine who stayed at the campground this week and he has caught six since I left (with zero fish) we may go there tomorrow evening to give it a try if the weather stays nice. It will be a while before we go for an extended stay again, work seems to get in the way of a lot of good times, but......................thats the way of it. Maybe a weekend or two in the meantime though so we will have some more opportunitites. Anybody who has the chance to come to Mesick will never regret it, it is absolutely beautiful there. Big wide river with rolling forested hills, eagles, loons, and deer, and not bad fishing.
    eyeguy

4. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    sounds like some good fishing, congrats

5. eyeguy

eyeguy New Member

State:
    Michigan
    brother hilljack it sounds like you're into catin, got any tips for a new guy to the sport? I had several evenings where we couldn't even get a bite and was at a loss as to what to do. Do you fish log jams, flats, stumps, corners, deep holes? The only thing we didn't do was to suspend a jig with a crawler or minnow over brush piles, I might try that next time. Does chum work for you? If yes what do you use? Any help is appreciated.
    eyeguy

6. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    eyeguy, how did your fishing turn out for you. I am excited to hear about it