Beef Stew Meat?

Discussion in 'Homemade baits' started by Old Bill, Sep 8, 2007.

1. Old Bill

Old Bill New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    My wife has a package of very old beef stew meat, that somehow had got lost in our freezer. She said I could have it for bait!:smile2:

I seem to remember reading a catfish bait recipe for such meat on the BOC, but now I can't find it.

Does anyone know where I might find the recipe, or know a good recipe?

I could give the meat to my neighbor's dog....but, that's seems a waste and the old dog is too fat anyway!

Old Bill

2. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Soak it with anise oil and/or garlic powder. It'll work for channels. Used it several times. Turtles also love it too! :big_smile:

3. charlestoncatman

charlestoncatman New Member

State:
    arkansas
    who wants to feed the turtles? i am more worried about NOT attracting them..lol, but beef stew sounds like worth trying..but how wouldouy keep it on the hook?

4. kkyyoottee

kkyyoottee New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Id say if you soaked it in garlic and used a treble with netting should keep on or soak in garlic for couple days then salt and lay out to dry but keep adding salt it will turn into leather and will then definitely stay on hook.

5. charlestoncatman

State:
    arkansas
  6. Old Bill

Old Bill New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    I've got about a dozen large turtles in a little pond in my backyard...so I sure don't want any turtles!

As I recall, who ever wrote about using old stew meat said it was hard to remove from the hook.

But, then with my bad memory, I may be getting things all mixed up!

I'll try using garlic powder of some pieces, and some anise oil on some other's. Be interesting to see what happens.

Thanks for the replies,

Old Bill

7. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY

I don't want to attract them anymore than you.:smile2:
    From personal experience I KNOW that turtles love it and will eat it. Thats why I don't use it anymore!
    The beef stew meat i've always gotten was VERY hard to get off the hook. Very tough stuff!

8. charlestoncatman

State:
    arkansas
    what brand beef stew do you use? would it matter?

9. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY

I just bought the beef stew meat from the meat department. Its only a couple bucks for a package. It seems to be pretty tough uncooked.

10. charlestoncatman

State:
    arkansas
    ooohhh..i thought you was talkin about an old can of dinty moore or something...my bad..that sounds good now..:dribble:

11. Fishin Freak

Fishin Freak New Member

State:
    Kansas
    if you do get you some turtles on your line ect, Cut them up and use them up and use them for bait, they do have lots of meat inside them. if you got a little redneck in ya make you a big ol pot of turtle soup or stew :wink:

12. ateamfisherman

ateamfisherman New Member

State:
    Texas
    there was a stink bait recipiefor stink bait that called for ground beef. i think it was in the library.I think thaat is where it is thanks sam davis

13. TarheelCatMan

TarheelCatMan New Member

State:
    Lincolnton, North Carolina
    I have used beef stew meat, soaked in texas pete with garlic over night then sun dried. Tough to get off the hook but seems to work real well.

14. jedt

jedt New Member

State:
    Cameron,Texas
    I don't imagine its not much more tender than beef heart which stays on the hook relly well. Thats without curing cut fresh from the store.

15. Old Bill

Old Bill New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    Howdy all!

I just got back from 14 days at Lake Eufaula in Oklahoma. I want to tell you about all the monster size catfish I caught...but, I'd be lying!

But, I did catch quite a few eating size channel and blue cats in the 1 to 2 pound size.

Most were caught on jug lines with beef stew meat that had been covered in garlic powder as recommended by Catfishjohn! I finally ran out of stew meat on the 14th day so I came home. Funny thing was that the garlic powder seemed to preserve the meat, and even after 14 days of being in a plastic container...out doors on my boat...it wasn't stinky!!

I don't believe I caught a single catfish on live or cut up bait. But, it is hard to keep track what bait is on what hook.

Life is good!:big_smile:

Old Bill