Beef Liver

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by JMarrs328, May 15, 2007.

1. JMarrs328

JMarrs328 New Member

State:
    York/Harrisburg, PA
    Does any one ever use beef liver? It stays on the hook better than chicken liver, but i haven't had much success w/ it yet. Just wonderin if anyone else has ever used it before.

2. whiskers77

whiskers77 New Member

State:
    Southern California
    Yes, before I went fishing last week I went to the grocery store to buy some chicken livers but all that they had was beef livers. I bought 2 containers and figured I'd give it a shot. I was fishing a local lake that is stocked with farm raised channels every week but man I was hits every time I casted the beef liver out there, the channels loved the stuff. I was also surprised at how well it stays on the hook. It was my first time using beef livers but I'd recommend them as a catfish bait, they worked well for me that day.

3. catfisherman60

catfisherman60 New Member

State:
    Greenwood AR.
    I some times use beef and pork liver. We have pigss and cows that we eat. So I have liver all the time. Put on trotlines most of the time. I like to use live bait on rod and reel.

4. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    anyone ever sundried the beef and pork liver?>

5. kickin_wing

kickin_wing New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Yes i have sun dried beef and chicken liver. And i like fresh beef liver better than chicken liver because it stays on the hook better and i catch just as many fish as with chicken. When you dry your liver in the sun put garlic salt all over them and let them dry out. Works great and the fish like it too.

6. JMarrs328

JMarrs328 New Member

State:
    York/Harrisburg, PA
    Thaks for the info everyone!:big_smile:

7. GrandpaGoneFishing

GrandpaGoneFishing New Member

State:
    Linn Valley, Ks
    I like to dry mine with garlic salt and brown sugar. Seems to toughen up livers.

8. TWEEDER

TWEEDER New Member

State:
    SC
    I save all the liver, hearts, and lunges from the deer that we harvest each year. I cut it into cubes before I freeze it. Works real well on channels.

9. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I use Chicken Liver for Channel, I think they bite the Chicken Liver better.

10. Game_Of_Inches

Game_Of_Inches New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I've used both beef and chicken liver but I have alot more success with chicken livers. I've also found that certain places have chicken liver that stays on the hook 100% better than others. If the liver has been previously frozen I've found that it falls off extremely easily. Buy your livers from a bunch of different locations and find out which place has the best livers. I've also heard of people putting their livers in panty hose and tying it to the hook and it never falls off.

11. JMarrs328

JMarrs328 New Member

State:
    York/Harrisburg, PA
    Will catfish bite better on fresh livers, or dried ones?

12. Game_Of_Inches

State:
    Ohio
    I've found that fresh bait nearly always outperforms dried or dehydrated baits. I've thrown dried livers and dehydrated shad and the just seem to be missing that enticing element.

13. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    Beef liver stays on the hook much better. But I have very little sucess with it. Seem they like the chicken better.

14. Cat Man Joe

Cat Man Joe New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I tied some beef liver soaked with garlic this last weekend but the yellowbellies wouldnt leave it alone. Ive also heard of turtles being a problem with beef.

15. riverdawg-1

riverdawg-1 New Member

State:
    salem, va
    Last night was the first time I tried beef liver. Was just catching bullheads for bait, caught a few but they hit nightcrawlers better. I did catch a 2 # rainbow trout on the beef liver?

16. Kinch's_cats

Kinch's_cats New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I've tried using both beef and chicken livers and it seems for me that chicken liver works a lot better. I read where Game_of_inches has heard of using panty hose to hold the livers and it works. I've used that method before and you are garanteed not to lose any liver. Just place the liver in a section of panty hose, tie it up at the top and hook it on. Another thing to look for when buying livers is the price. You'll want to buy the cheapest you can. It saves money yes, but the cheaper livers have a higher fat content which is bad for cooking but good for staying on the hook.:wink: Hope this helps

17. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    all i know is, game of inches should have enough pantys for everyone on this site! lol he steals them for a side job!!!!! my sister told me! lol ....j/k he is my bother/sister in-law! :lol: wimp!

18. alands94

alands94 Active Member

State:
    Lebanon, I
    For some reason, I always catch a lot more bullheads on beef liver and more channels on chicken liver :confused2:

19. Game_Of_Inches

State:
    Ohio
    Catfishrollo is just mad because I get them from his wife.:cool2:

20. jbarnes17

jbarnes17 New Member

State:
    Commerce, Oklahoma
    I add garlic to my beef liver and have had great success with it and it does stay on your hook better than chicken livers.