Beef Liver?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by georgiamike, Nov 1, 2006.

1. georgiamike

georgiamike New Member

State:
    Texas
    Anyone ever use beef liver instead of chicken? Seems like it is a little tougher to me maybe stay on the hook better.

2. LiquidSteel

LiquidSteel New Member

State:
    La Vista N
    Ive used beef with not much success. Turkey liver is not as strong as beef, but not as bloody as chicken. I think the chicken liver has more blood in it, and is able to give off more scent to the kittys. I do agree though, that beef is tougher and stays on a hook better, but it doesnt have the oozy red stuff like the chicken livers.

Kenny

3. Stumpknocker2

Stumpknocker2 New Member

State:
    NW FL
    I have to agree with steele....the only thing I found that likes beef liver is turtles, I have never caught a cat on it.

4. riverwiskers

riverwiskers New Member

State:
    kelly nc
    Good question, I've always wandered that myself. It will be interesting to see what everyone else thinks.

Dale

5. splitshot

splitshot New Member

State:
    Coxsakie,N.Y.
    Ive also tried beef liver several times with no success.

6. tnkatman

tnkatman New Member

State:
    Bluff City, TN
    When I Fish With Liver, Beef Liver Is All I Use And I've Had Good Success With It.

7. chinook

chinook New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I use beef liver once in a while. I don't catch much on it until it gets rank smelling; sometimes it even turns greenish looking. I fish only for channels, although with fowl smelling liver I also catch bullheads. My main baits though are shrimp or cutbait (bluegiil, carp, or shad)

8. squirtspop

squirtspop New Member

State:
    Glencoe, Arkansas
    I used it all the time fishing the Illinois River in Peoria area and in ponds up there. Had real good success with it. I'd cut it to where it was about the size of a large night crawler and let it set in the sun for a few hours before using it. Toughened it up even more.

9. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Beef liver has always been my choice.I can get it from a butcher shop here in town and trust me it's socked fullof blood.It has never disappointed me until recently,but then again every bait I used disappointed me including DK's:0a35:

10. Coloman

Coloman New Member

State:
    Soddy Daisy, Tn
    I have not had much luck with beef parts. Jack rabbit meat works good!

11. roundhill

roundhill New Member

State:
    kings mtn
    role in flour fry till done make gravey yum yum

12. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    Never had much luck with the beef livers, as others have mentioned, the turkey livers are bloody like chicken livers but tough like beef livers.

There was some discussion a while ago about the amino acid content in the chicken livers that makes them so effective. I'm not a scientist but I believe that there is much validity in that theory.

13. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Thats the way I like it. Plus a few onions fried at the same time. I'll stick to chicken livers for fishin even though I like to eat those also.

14. jailcop2

jailcop2 New Member

State:
    iowa
    Never had much luck with beef liver for cats , only bullheads .

15. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    Chicken liver works better for me also when I do fish liver.

16. raybait1

raybait1 New Member

State:
    SE Texas
    ive done well with beef liver, but its not my favorite bait.
    cure it with garlic and vanilla.

17. IfishFORcatfish

IfishFORcatfish New Member

State:
    california
    ive only used beef liver twice.... i cut it into chicken liver sizes and then i mix it with chicken livers( and blood ) put some garlic powder in it .... get a tray and take all the peices out draining the blood into another container..... let the chicken and beef livers sit in the sun for a few hours.... while thats in the sun take the blood adding a little bit more garlic and put it in the fridge... when the livers are done in the sun put them back in the container of blood.... this make seem long but if you want some cats you should do it :lol:

18. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I never, have use beef livers. but I have use chicken livers with some sucess.

19. LiquidSteel

LiquidSteel New Member

State:
    La Vista N
    First off Ray, Welcome to the BOC!

I have learned from these great people here to take my/your chicken liver and give them a nice coat of garlic, and maybe a little vanilla (I have yet to try the vanilla). For some reason, chicken blood is like standing outside a cattle ranchers front door hitting the feed bell (the big triangle looking thing). The cats here in Nebraska go crazy, I mean just crazy for chicken livers!

Kenny

20. just cats

just cats New Member

State:
    Leslie Missouri
    This thread reminded me of a day many years ago as a kid I was using beef liver and was talking to an old fella fishing near me and his comment about my bait was something like .." Shoot boy, if ya got beef liver, what the heck do you need catfish for?":big_smile: Anyway, I've used it a few times over the years, it'll catch channel cats but it's not very high on my list of good baits. Lot's of better baits out there.