Beef Liver

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by kc_catfishing, Mar 18, 2009.

1. kc_catfishing

kc_catfishing New Member

State:
    missouri
    i wanna try to use beef liver for catfish but i dun know should i put it outside or inside the house and how long it take before i can use it ???? need some info , thanks:cool2:

2. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Beef liver has probably worked for some, but I've tried chicken liver, pork liver, and beef liver on rods set side by side, and chicken liver produced best, pork liver came in a distant second, and beef liver last. If I had to use it, I'd leave some natural, and set aside some other batches and add such things as salt, garlic powder, anise, etc.

3. PaCatfishHunter

PaCatfishHunter New Member

State:
    Greensburg, PA
    I would use Chicken liver over beef. If you are going to use beef then I would add stuff to it like garlic and anise and let it sit for a day or two

4. Jasongonefishing

Jasongonefishing New Member

State:
    McDonough,
    I have had good success with chicken live pulling out 2-3LB catfish. I have not use any other liver.

5. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    If you can find it rabbit liver is good bait. Pel Freeze has a kill plant in Rogers Ar. It stays on the hook good and channels and blues certainly like it.

6. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    heck you can use beef liver right out of the package,its tougher then chicken liver and stays on the hook better.Some say chicken liver is better but ive seen days where they would hit on the beef and not the chicken and visa versa.It really just depends on what they are in the mood for that day,and what works one day the very next day they wont touch it,thats why its always good to have a variety of baits to offer.

7. jmjackson333

jmjackson333 New Member

State:
    Spencer, O
    One day I was leaving for a tournament. As I walked to the truck, a pigeon landed on my silo. I grabbed my .22 and shot him. My partner says "hey fresh bait!" So I jokingly put him in the cooler. I got bored around the middle of the tournament, so I put him to the knife, I put his liver and gizzard on one hook and his heart and some intestines on another. Three minutes later, I caught a four pounder on the liver and a minute after that, I caught a 2 pounder on the other stuff. So I know that fresh pigeon works, too!! HA HA:smile2:

8. kc_catfishing

kc_catfishing New Member

State:
    missouri
    thanks for the info ..

9. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Welcome to the BOC Tony.

10. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Welcome to the BOC, Tony!

I've never had the chance to give them a test, but I've heard that chicken guts are very good.

11. westvirginiacatfish

westvirginiacatfish New Member

State:
    Ronceverte
    Welcome to the B.O.C..... Tony :cool2::smile2::smile2:

I have always used chicken liver .....never tried the beef liver maybe I will someday.

12. kmcalester

kmcalester New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    Hey I like turkey liver works good for Channels.

13. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    And it's a little tougher, than the chicken livers too:cool2:. I don't know if you have Publix grocery stores near you but that's where I get mine from.

BTW....WELCOME to the B.O.C.

14. BowieKnife357

BowieKnife357 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I've used beef liver quite a bit because it's reaily available to me, but like most of the other guys said, chicken liver has produced the best for me as long as it's wrapped in cheese cloth to stay on the hook. When it comes to all around, I prefer turkey liver. It's tougher than chicken liver and more effective than beef.

15. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    Welcome to the B.O.C..... Tony

Have never tried beef liver . Have had good luck with fresh chicken livers and chicken hearts . When we was using chicken hearts we used to buy them by the package of about 30 to 50 chicken hearts and soak them in chicken blood .

If you use beef liver I would go fresh and bloody as possible .

Be sure and post how it turns out for .

16. gdlocal10

gdlocal10 New Member

State:
    kansas
    we use chicken liver ourselves , and lot of times we use it fresh, but too long outside and you wont be able to stand it, tried that and wow its rank

17. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    My grandad used chicken guts with good success. Have not used them in years.
    I have also heard that pork lungs are good bait but never tried it.

18. Flintman

Flintman New Member

State:
    OKC, OKLA.
    We have started using turkey liver, it stays on better and seems to do as good as chicken. we add a little liquid garlic, let it set over night.