Beef liver VS. Chicken liver

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by Catmaster, Jul 3, 2006.

1. Catmaster

Catmaster New Member

State:
    SE Kansas
    I have an ample supply of both, working at a small beef and chicken processing plant, but I have always seen beef liver as a more juicy, bloody, scent loaded bait and it stays on your hook better if it is not skinned. I have also caught more channel on Beef liver compared to Chicken liver. Yet chicken liver has more of a reputation for catching channel catfish than beef liver. I agree I have also caught alot of fish on chicken liver. This makes it hard to choose the better bait. What is everyones thought on Beef liver vs. Chicken liver?

2. ahoki

ahoki New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    I dont use chicken livers because its too hard to mess with keeping it on the hook. BUT if i had a supply of either at no charge that would be a different story and I would prolly use the beef liver just because it would stay on the hook better. I'm pretty confident that the catfish dont care much what you use longs as its stinky and bloody.

3. field989

field989 New Member

State:
    east central indiana
    dude GET SOME BEEF BLOOD

make a blood bait..... i heard they really like that.... i cant get any blood up here :(

but id try it....

but i dont really know about the livers.... i have used chicken cause the meat packing place here sometimes closes early

4. Catmaster

Catmaster New Member

State:
    SE Kansas
    I do have a great way to make beef blood that I use alot. Right after the cow has been droped and you stick it. I will set a squeegy in the blood barrel and as soon as the blood drops in I will splash it realy hard, getting alot of air in the blood. If you do it right when the blood couagulates it will form bubbles in the blood and make it realy spongy. This stuff stays on the hook so good I can use it at the dam without having to tie anything around it.

5. kfritts

kfritts New Member

State:
    Indiana
    hey Field989, i don't know where you're located but I know Archer's meat packing in Greenwood will sell beef blood. I called them up and they told me when they'd have it. I bought some to put in a new stink bait i'm trying. Never thought about putting the coagulated stuff on a hook but i'll try anything once.

6. WV Hillbilly

WV Hillbilly New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    What about pork liver? I've only used chicken livers but they sale beef and pork livers right beside of it.

7. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    I have never had any luck with Beef Liver. It is more solid and stays on the hook better then fresh chicken liver but it does not produce the same amount of fish for me as Chicken Liver. Good luck brother, but I will stick with my chicken liver.

8. eggman

eggman New Member

State:
    Jefferson City, Missouri
    If you ask me beef liver is worthless for catchin channel cats. Tried it a few times and had not even a sniff. I even tried it side by side with chicken liver and the CL caught fish time and time again. I believe in No. 6 trebles with the spring on shaft, take a big hunk and impale the liver, slowly wrap it around the shank until the sinewy part takes hold in the spring. lob it out there with NO WEIGHT and set your reel so that the fish can run. It won't take long brother.......gettin goosebumps just thinkin about the moment.....lol

egg

9. tnkatman

tnkatman New Member

State:
    Bluff City, TN
    I Use Beef Liver, The Only Time I Use Chicken Liver Is If The Store Is Sold Out Of Beef Liver. I Don't Like Using Pork Liver Though.

10. lawnman61

lawnman61 New Member

State:
    Fort Worth, Tex
    I have to agree with you Matt, I have never had any luck with beef liver.
    Chicken liver has always been a favorite for me to use for the channel cats but I always doctor my chicken livers up so they stay on the hook better.

11. teaysvalleyguy

State:
    GC, OHIO
    I always do the same, unless I am in a hurry.

12. mikeskywalker

mikeskywalker New Member

State:
    IOWA
    i hear Deer liver works real good

13. teaysvalleyguy

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Have never tried that, I sure dont eat it. Will have to save it next time I get a deer. Good idea though.

14. rushryder

rushryder New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    Between chicken or beef I would go with the chicken. Like these other guys, I've tried beef a time or two with no luck at all. My favorite liver to use is turkey liver. It stays on the hook twice as good as chicken and produces the same results fish wise.

15. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I have never had luck with beef liver either. I eat it though.lol I heard that chicken liver breaks down chemically faster than beef and pork, allowing the amino acids to escape faster. They say thats what turns the channels on.

16. Gone fishin 4 kittys

Gone fishin 4 kittys New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Tea you hit enough of them!!

I have tried beef liver and it never works for me!!!

17. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

I can't say I care that much for beef liver but I have used the blood and done ok with it but the liver debate I have to go with chicken it just seems to work better for me.

18. Sentry Dog Man

Sentry Dog Man New Member

State:
    TN
    I've tried beef and pork liver with never a tap. So, guess I will stay with chicken liver.

19. Whiterivercatslayer

Whiterivercatslayer New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I always use Chicken liver for cats and beef liver on limb lines for turtles...the snappers seem to like the beef liver better

20. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I dont use liver anymore, but when I did I caught nothing on beef liver.