Beef kidneys for bait

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by copycat, Sep 1, 2006.

1. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    Does anyone know if beef kidneys will work for channel cats? My local store sells them and I was wondering if they will work? Thanks!

2. Swampy

Swampy New Member

State:
    Fl.
    I don't know I've never tried it before. I haven't ever had much luck with any type of beef as bait. But it may work great in your area,it's worth a try.

3. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    Hi Tom to answer your question I don't think they are going to work real well .I have been a butcher now fo 40 years and alot of catmen over the years would come in to the shop and get fresh beef blood and some times liver but never beef kidneys. the reason is I think is that the kidney helps filters the system and is somewhat bitter and I belive that has something to do with the kidney not makeing it a real good bait choice.I might be wrong on this assumption but I belive it to br correct. Your Frind and BOC Brother From Iowa. J.D.Straka.

4. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    Thanks very much for the reply John! I fiqured it was worth a try but others tell me that it isn't good.

5. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

Why would you want to fish with something that taste so good? Unwrap it sprinkle with a little salt and pepper and enjoy. I can't say I really enjoyed it but I did try it before. I don't think it would be a good bait, but hey, you never know.

6. marlin53

marlin53 New Member

State:
    iowa
    The recipe I heard for cooking kidneys was boil them for the time it took to drink a beer. change the water repeat with the beer 11 more times throw out the kidney dump the water enjoy the buzz order a pizza.