Beef Kidneys, Anyone tried them?

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by willisjj, Feb 11, 2006.

1. willisjj

willisjj Guest

I noticed a big package of beef kidneys at wal-mart yesterday for only $1.62. I have never used them and wondered if any of yall have? I didn't know if it would even stay on the hook or what. The package was full of blood and seems a little cheaper than chicken livers even. I should have went ahead and bought some to try, but talked myself out of it. Anyway, I would like to hear what you have to say. I am heading out fishing now and probably won't be back till tonight, so I ain't ignoring you if you reply! Later.........Jeremy

2. beeheck

beeheck New Member

State:
    Iowa / Missouri
    Never tried them. I read somewhere that beef products/blood had an enzyme or something in them that catfish didn't like. Around here no one fishes with beef liver because of the dislike catfish have for it and/or the poor results they have had using them. I might be wrong but I'm sure I read it somewhere. It wouldn't hurt to buy some and load up a pole with your regular bait and one with beef products and see what you think and let us know. I'll try it this summer but I'm a few months away from fishing around here due to a severe ice problem on the lakes. Happens every year about this time, hope someone figures it out pretty quick so I can catfish year round.

3. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I've never tried beef kidneys, but I've tried beef liver and pork liver side by side, and the pork worked much better than the beef. I've had mixed success with pork chitlings; sometimes they produce very well, and sometimes they don't do much. But then, I can't think of a time when the chitlings didn't produce while some other bait did produce; but I have seen them produce when the kitties ignored everything else we had. (Which didn't include fresh cut shad or skipjack.) I cut the chitlings into bait sized pieces, put them into ziploc bags, and add a flavoring, such as garlic powder, shrimp flavoring from ramen noodles, anise, vanilla, or cheese powder from cheese sauce mix.

4. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    My experence is that anything beef does not work to well, chicken liver outfishes beef products for me 10-1.

5. willisjj

willisjj Guest

Thanks for the input. I agree on the chicken liver vs. beef liver deal, although I always thought it was because the chicken livers ain't as tough and they seem to hold more blood. Anyway, I am back already, got too stinking cold out there with the wind blowing. We toughed it out for a few hours, but it was just really miserable and couldn't get into any crappie or catfish, so we just headed home. I may try out those kidneys once it warms up a little. Thanks again and if I do try em out I will let you know how it went.

6. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    If you're going to give the beef kidneys a try, give some bacon or salt pork a try alongside them, just for an experiment. I caught an 18.5# blue the last time I tried salt pork; it was the only fish caught that day from two boats.

7. Coloman

Coloman New Member

State:
    Soddy Daisy, Tn
    I have tryed them with NO luck.

8. RIP

RIP New Member

State:
    Somerville, Tennessee
    My grandfather had a country store when I was a kid, me & a friend of mine use to fish every day in the summer, ponds & creeks we would use all kinds of meat & liver from his store, I dont remember ever getting a fish on beef liver, turtles seem to like it!

9. willisjj

willisjj Guest

I have used the beef liver and used to switch back and forth from beef to chicken on occasion. I have caught catfish with beef liver, but usually had better results with chicken livers. The one thing I did like with beef is that it seemed to be a little tougher and stayed on the hook a little better. These kidneys are so cheap, I will probably end up giving them a try when it warms up a little. I will go with jtrew's suggestion and give salt pork a try too. Those channels will bite anything, I think it just depends on the day and what they are in the mood for more than anything. That is usually why we end up taking a large variety of baits with us when fishing.

10. pendog66

pendog66 New Member

State:
    Brookville OH
    i tried them and had alittle luck, but always did better on chicken livers

11. fat_fish55

fat_fish55 New Member

State:
    illinois
    beef livers stay on the hook 500% better, iv had very good success for channels on beef liver so i dont think the thing about cats not biting on beef products is true
    my biggest channel ( only 13 lbs, but oh well) was cought on beef liver

12. graybeard

graybeard New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Back when I was a kid,(in the late 60s) there was an old guy who lived in the area. He was kinda shiftless, usually worked part-time at a meat locker, and fished for catfish the rest of the time. I wanted to be just like him when I grew up! You could find him fishing one of the rivers or creeks around here just about anytime, and he always seemed to catch cats. He always used beef spleen for bait until the leopard frogs came out, then he switched to frogs. I tried it a few times w/o any luck, but I didn't know much about where to fish back then. I know he made it work, cause he'd hold up his stringer whenever I seen him.

13. catfishhunter73flat73blue

catfishhunter73flat73blue New Member

State:
    south dak
    for the last 4 years I have tried all kinds of crazy baits,and I will say this, (ratings i would give) frogs #1,turtle liver #2,cut bait #3, chicken liver#4,
    any small rodent's like rabbit's,rats,mice. those are a few of the crazy ones I have used caught the big blue on the rabbit.but as for using beef for fishing I have not any luck,I also have been told that beef works good for turtle fishing. ​

14. kaleigh

kaleigh New Member

State:
    Lehigh Valley Pa
    I tried it for bait,did not work at all,:thumbdown .My dogs and cats would not even smell it.It must have a urine smell to it because,that is the job of the kidneys.To filter urine :sad: