Beef Hearts

Discussion in 'Homemade baits' started by savage308, Jul 30, 2006.

1. savage308

savage308 New Member

State:
    Victoria, Texas
    What has been ya'lls experience with beef hearts on Juglines and Trotlines?
    I cut my beef hearts in 1" cubes. I add 1 cup pancake syrup and pour in a bunch of salt & garlic powder mixture I make in bulk. I've done fairly well with this. Just wanting to see how others have done and if theres any other variations ya'll have tried.....
    :smile2:

2. Aftercats

Aftercats New Member

State:
    Tennesse
    I have not tried that or this one but I was reading about someone taking old freezer burned venision and marinating it in oil and garlic and he said it worked great. Good luck

Daryl
    Aftercats

3. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I have a small town butcher shop that I can go and get free Beef Liver and Hearts. They tell me that they are not allowed to sell their hearts and liver:0a21: Anyway they sell beef liver at stores so I don't know! But I asked for a heart so I could go fishing and his response to me was WHAT!! I never heard of it. I tried it but they wouldn't touch it for me course I was using rod and reel.---------------pk:smile2:

4. mangus

mangus New Member

State:
    n.c.
    tried it once didnt have any luck. it seem that it wasnt bloody enough and had very little smell.

5. savage308

savage308 New Member

State:
    Victoria, Texas
    Anyone else ever try it?????

6. Love Them Cats

Love Them Cats New Member

State:
    Vinita, Oklahoma
    In my teens, I worked in a small slaughter house and I was always bringing stuff like that home and what I didn't eat was used as bait?

I would catch some blood so I could use it to soak the pieces I was going to use as bait in.

I would let it set in the blood a couple days before trying to use it and I did pretty good with it?

I never really caught anything big with it, but where I fished, there wasn't any big ones, but it worked on small ones.

Ken

7. savage308

savage308 New Member

State:
    Victoria, Texas
    Thanks Ken,
    I'm gonna give it a shot of anise oil and see how they do. I'll post ya'll the results this weekend if I get out on the lake.. HOPEFULLY..... (fingers crossed)

8. keeyaawww...
    Beef hearts have worked fine for me before. chicken hearts have worked better. but dey aint nuttin better dan da shad....

9. bigtimeblues

bigtimeblues New Member

State:
    missouri, macon
    I have to agree with Evans on this one. I've tried them when I didn't have enough shad in the freezer :embarassed: And did catch a few on them but not like the shad. It was on jugs in strip pits.

10. squirtspop

squirtspop New Member

State:
    Glencoe, Arkansas
    bet ya put some of that heart in a crawdad trap, you'll catch a bunch of them. Small ones you could use as bait and eat the big ones.

11. kycatman01

kycatman01 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    I have never tried it but it seems like it would work.

12. cattinalldayeveryday

cattinalldayeveryday New Member

State:
    chicago
    im not sure ive wittnesed people using it but had very little luck

13. riddleofsteel

riddleofsteel New Member

State:
    NC
    I got several hard strikes on beef hearts. They would grab it and run for about 30 seconds and drop it. Caught nothing on it but I got several lbs left. I will try it again.

14. Wil

Wil New Member

State:
    Minden Nebraska
    i dont know much about beef hearts but i know that chicken hearts work well, last weekend i caught a 6 pound blue on a chicken heart within 5 minutes of casting my line.

15. A Grey

A Grey New Member

State:
    Arizona
    haven't used beef hearts yet, but chicken and rattlesnake hearts work great. Had a cat rip my rattlesnake heart right off my line within a couple minutes.

16. A Grey

A Grey New Member

State:
    Arizona
    I tried using elk heart on Saturday and they worked very well. I soaked them in liquid smoke, vegetable bullion (beef bullion would probably be better though), salt (with no iodine), and vanilla. They'd probably be good with anise extract too.

17. colten

colten Member

State:
    Texas
    I would say just fry them up and eat them.