beef hearts?

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by brinley45cal, Aug 15, 2009.

1. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    i was in the grocery getting some liver and right below it they had packaged beef hearts.It was a pretty big package for 3 bucks or so,so i was wandering if anyones ever tried using this as bait before?i thought about getting a package to try but i thought maybe id ask you guys first to see if anyone has tried it before i got any.

2. SGTREDNECK

SGTREDNECK New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    James I havent tried beer heart. But I have tried beef liver. It did not work too well at first. I caught a few small channels. But this is one of my farovite baits to use for channels now. First you get your self some mason jars and fill them with shad. Fill 1/4 of the way with water and let the jars sit in the sun until the shad are good and rotten, they will almost liquify. Then you add the beef liver and let it soak overnight or a few days. Then you got yourself a great bait. I have caught many a channel and some nice blues on this bait. But I will warn you it really stinks, and you want to get some rubber gloves because it doesnt wash off very easy.

3. moondog58

moondog58 New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Hey, I just love beef hearts. One of the best offals you can find.

Don't wast one on the fish, cook it up, slice it thin, put it on a couple of slices of bread with a little horse redish and cheese and eat it while you fish.

4. 89Ricky89

89Ricky89 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I tired them once without any luck. Let us know if you try them.

5. ragincajun19

ragincajun19 New Member

State:
    Arizona
    I tried beef liver once and got one small channel, never tried hearts though.

6. Gamblen

Gamblen New Member

State:
    Kansas City, KS
    I've used beef liver and chicken liver. Chicken liver seems to work the best around Kansas City.

7. brinley45cal

State:
    kentucky
    yeah i use beef and chicken liver all the time and have pretty good luck on both.I was just curious if anyone ever tried beef hearts or not,the way it looks not many people have so i may have to give it a go and see what happens if i do ill let ya know what happens.

8. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    Bloody Chicken liver works best:wink:

9. snakeman76

snakeman76 New Member

State:
    Tallahassee, Fl
    Hey James the beef hearts work pretty good for me i cut mine into bite size hunks and caught some good channels on them if you try them let me know how you did

10. brinley45cal

State:
    kentucky
    thanks for the info bro i think i just might givem a try.did they stay on the hook ok for ya?