Beef hearts for catfish bait

Discussion in 'Fishing Bait Review' started by WaltonsMountain, Aug 12, 2009.

1. WaltonsMountain

WaltonsMountain New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Anyone tried beef hearts for bait? Was at Walmart today and saw they are about a 1.35/lb, real bloody and I imagine a heart would be a tough piece of meat so it would stay on your hook pretty good. Anyone given it a try?

2. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    I prefer bloody chicken livers tied to a circle hook:wink:

3. fishinfreak19D

fishinfreak19D New Member

State:
    Pittston, PA
    i thought about it, bought one, cut it up, then ate it myself, then went fishin with nightcrawlers.:roll_eyes:

4. Swampfox.

Swampfox. New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    not the heart, but the liver. didnt work as good as chicken liver, fish like chicken, who knew?

5. Catfish_Scooter

Catfish_Scooter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Sounds good to me! Chicken livers here get messed with too much by bluegills. :sad2:

6. all_clear

all_clear New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Haven't tried the beef heart but i buy at the local walmart a package of chicken gizzards and heart. Cut to size mix those up with my livers and let them soak. Works pretty good here, those tough meats stay on the hook forever, most times we can catch a handfull of fish without rebaiting.

Nathan

7. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    Ive been wondering the same thing bro.I went out and bought some today and plan giving it a try soon,ill let you know how it works for me:wink:

8. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    Please let us know brother. I been curious myself:wink:

9. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    you got it bro i just hope its not getting to late in the season to use that kind of thing.hoping i dont get false results if it dont work now where it might have worked earlier in the summer ya know?but will see what happens,ill let ya know as soon as i get out to use it:wink:

10. Thad

Thad New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    I don't know about beef hearts but my Grandpa just about wouldn't use anything but chicken hearts. He (and I) caught piles of channel cats on them.

They stay on a hook much better than liver and really call 'em up.

11. James Bentley

James Bentley New Member

State:
    N.C.
    Never tried beef heart,did try deer heart,no luck,but at the same time was useing nightcrawers and no bites,tellus if it works:big_smile:

12. Branj796

Branj796 Member

State:
    Illinois
    It definately works. I know a guy who uses them and they work good for him. If you want to go with a liver then turkey is the way to go. Chicken livers get pecked and fall off the hook. You can tie them on or use panty hose but its such a pain.