beef heart

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by wormybass3, May 2, 2008.

1. wormybass3

wormybass3 New Member

State:
    pinson, alabama
    has anyone ever tried beef heart? i seen some at walmart, and it looked soft and bloody. i didn't know if catfish like beef or not.

2. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Used it a couple times with moderate success on channels. Its like leather and will stay on a hook real well.

3. slabmaster

slabmaster New Member

State:
    missouri
    i tried it once and caught a trotline full of turtles.i don't have much luck with beef liver either.

4. slabmaster

slabmaster New Member

State:
    missouri
    by the way welcome to the BOC

5. mariofish

mariofish New Member

State:
    wv
    welcome to boc great site:cool2:

6. catman4926

catman4926 New Member

State:
    Texas
    WELCOME TO THE BOC FROM ALABAMA:big_smile:

7. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    I have never tried it. I'm sure anything bloody would work, the question is will it work the best?? No way to know until you try it.

Welcome to the BOC, this site is full of good info and great people.

8. uttatoo

uttatoo New Member

State:
    greatbend kansas
    I HAVE TRIED IT AND CAUGHT ALOT OF EATER SIZE CHANNELS WITH IT BUT ONLY GOOD FOR ME IN THE SUMMER AT NIGHT IN THE SHALLOWS DONT USE IT NOMORE BUT AS A KID MY DAD SHOWED ME HOW TO FISH WITH IT
    IF YOU CAN GET A COFFEE CAN FULL OF BEEF LIVER OR HEART AND PUT IN THE CAN TIE A STRING TO IT THEN PUNCH HOLES INTO IT AND THROW IT INTO YOUR SPOT ABOUT NOON THEN COME BACK AFTER DARK AND THEN CAST RIGHT ON TOP OF IT IT SURE DOES HELP

9. wayne1967

wayne1967 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I'd rather eat it myself.

10. hopnbrly

hopnbrly New Member

State:
    California
    personally I have had a lot less luck with beef than chicken in general.hearts and gizzards less luck than liver.bottom line beef heart in my area just doesnt perform up to other options but it does stay on the hook great.

11. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Hey I have never tryed the beef heart catfishing but I say it would work catfish loves bloody baits, the only beef product ive tryed fishing was beef liver, it stays on the hook good to if you try the heart out keep us posted on how it works for you, it should do good.

12. bobby-catfishing

bobby-catfishing New Member

State:
    Highland Villag
    I've used beef heart on jug lines before. It stays on the hook really well. It's not nearly as good as shad, cut carp or buffalo, but it will catch both blues and channels. Beef kidney works too.

13. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma

Billy,My grandad and great uncle used Beef liver,Heart and kidneys for trotline bait back in the early 70s and got lots of big channels here.,They also used a bunch of Jackrabbit meat as well. It works good too.

14. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I've tried it and it's great! cut it in thin strips like bacon, lay a strip of bacon down, lay the heart strip on top of the bacon and roll it up tightly. stick a toothpick through it. repeat as necessary and bake at 350* for 30 minutes or so. also good fried! I forgot to mention that you have to lay the heart down on it's side and sort of fliet it. lay it down, and take a knife about 1/4 inch off the table and "unroll" it. clean the junk out leaving whole muscle, and your ready to go.
    :big_smile:

15. katkiller77

katkiller77 New Member

State:
    dayton ohio
    i will stick to chicken livers myself rick

16. katkiller77

katkiller77 New Member

State:
    dayton ohio
    welcome to the boc