Beef; Country of Origin?

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by kat in the hat, Sep 21, 2008.

1. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    So, where does our beef come from? I recently found the answer to this question to be more complicated than I previously imagined.

Beginning Oct. 1st, a federal mandate will require retail meat outlets to show proof of the country of origin of their beef to the public, and some (including me) will be surprised.

We primarily sell IBP (Iowa Beef Processors) brand Angus Beef. It's a division of Tyson Foods as of 2001, and is one of, if not the largest distributors of beef in the USA. What is the origin of the beef that they sell? Well, it's born in Mexico, fed out in Canada, and slaughtered in the US.

I will have to program the label machine to say just that. It's not like I can just enter a code, and voila, all beef products will magically have the countries of origin on them. Noooo. I will have to reprogram the text on every single beef product that we sell. I'm still pondering exactly how long the task will take me. :embarassed:

So, any thoughts? My thoughts are: I wonder how it will effect the market, once people know that their beef has traveled to more destinations that them. I wonder if people will stop eating it, or if it's no big deal. I gotta admit that I was surprised. I will keep eating it because it's good, and it's job security to buy my own products. I do wonder why they have to truck it all over the place.

2. hunted

hunted New Member

State:
    washington court house,oh
    it really don't make no sense to me to truck it all over the place,i am sure the good loe usa has enough to grow their own beef for us,well you would think anyway.
    i rarely eat cow anymore.i switched to turkey burger instead of hamburger,and i am not really a steak guy,i am more of a seafood guy myself.i am sure that there will be a lot of surprised people when they see where their beef actually comes from.i bet some will protest and quit eating it while others will just shrug their shoulders and not care,as long as they got it to eat,lol

3. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    :crazy: Thats news to me. I always ask about seafood, some of it will be from CHINA or THAILAND or CHILE. As far as beef I figured it was from here, guess I gotta start asking bout that also.

Attached Files:

4. BassMassey

BassMassey Well-Known Member

State:
    Oconee
    As long as it's not from europe I don't care.........I'm still curious to try that kobe beef, not willing to pay the price though.

5. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Thanks,Matt. If the beef we are eating comes from wherever,Then I wish somebody would tell me where all the beef we are growing here and slaughterin is goin? Heck. Whatever happened to BUY AMERICAN.?

6. Jerry60k

Jerry60k Member

State:
    Chelyan, West V
    Rich our American beef is probably sent to China or Russia or some other non-self-sufficient country along with our wheat crops.

7. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    reload people still BUY AMERICAN, just not americans,.We are shipping all our stuff out all over the world instaed of feeding our own people cheaper!!!!

8. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Mine come from my farm eating my pasture and hay!! Never buy any from the store.

9. uttatoo

uttatoo New Member

State:
    greatbend kansas
    as you know i worked on feed yards and ranches for the better first part of my life and yes they come from all over

i have unloaded cattle at the yards that come from canada, mexico and southamerica

10. uttatoo

uttatoo New Member

State:
    greatbend kansas
    alot of american beef goes to japan

they pay $20.00 just for a steak twice what we pay for just a steak

11. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    That's a form of patriotism that American consumers aren't interested in. They will wave a flag all day long, but when they reach for their wallets, they are price-driven. End of story.