Beech wood

Discussion in 'Jims Woodworking' started by Coloman, Nov 1, 2006.

1. Coloman

Coloman New Member

State:
    Soddy Daisy, Tn
    Has anyone worked with Beech wood?

I was thinking of using it for an entertainment center.

2. Jesse168

Jesse168 Member

State:
    Memphis, Tennessee
    When I was going to cabinet making school I worked with some beech but it didn't excite me. It is simular to birch or yellow poplar but lighter in color.
    I prefer the yellow poplar or birch over the beech.
    Have you ever seen anything made from butternut? It's beautiful when stained and finished properly.

Jesse

3. Coloman

Coloman New Member

State:
    Soddy Daisy, Tn
    Jesse
    I looked for butternut here but no one has it here. I got a few scraps of the poplar and stained them. I didn't like the out come of that. Oak,birch,maple is high dollar here, $4.oo+ a board foot (s2).

4. fish

fish Active Member

State:
    ChattanoogaTenn
    Good gravy Bill, that is some high dollar wood. When ya'll are back up this way you should load up with it here and take some back home with you. Some of that beech can be harder than superman's knee caps, like some birch is. You may be able to find alder and use it as a substitute. It is really easy to work with and I know it is cheaper and takes stain good. Alder may have a little deeper color than birch, beech or maple though but not much.

If you will let me know ahead of time, when ya'll come back this way, I can get you just about any kind of wood you need over in west Tennessee pretty cheap but you can get it here in Chattanooga for a fairly reasonable price also. Bill, if you ever want to make something with cherry, you can make it out of birch and stain it cherry and even the most experienced wood worker will have trouble telling the difference.

5. Coloman

Coloman New Member

State:
    Soddy Daisy, Tn
    Jim
    I just ordered the wood (beech). It has gone up $.34 B/F since I called 2 days ago! I figured that I had better get it before it goes up again!!