Beech Fork - anybody catch any catfish?

Discussion in 'WEST VIRGINIA LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by catfishguy, Mar 26, 2009.

1. catfishguy

catfishguy New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Anybody catch any cats at Beech Fork? The only thing I have ever caught there has been channels.:confused2:

2. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    I have caught some Channels up to 12 lb(guessing) and once saw a huge Flathead chasing after a roostertail I was throwing. But have yet to catch one there.
    Took a nap on the lake bank 2 years ago and woke up without one of my poles, but have no idea what took it.

Fresh Bluegill fillets and chicken livers are big there, though in the spring a couple of big ol nightcrawlwers can do well at night up one of the small creeks.

3. catfishguy

catfishguy New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    I am going to try the lake here in about 3 weeks. I can rent a boat out there then since I don't have a boat yet and it's not terribly expensive.

4. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    It's still early in the season so you should not have too much problem But,,,, make sure you are legal. The Game Rangers love rental boats out there. :wink:

5. catfishguy

catfishguy New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Yep, I'm legal. I don't need any stinking tickets. I was caught by the game warden the day I turned 15. That was the only time I have ever fished without a license and that was the only time I have been asked for my license. Figures.:confused2:

6. catfishguy

catfishguy New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    That's been a few years back. Almost 20 years ago. Unbelievable. Time is flying by.

7. Concept

Concept New Member

State:
    Huntington, West Virginia
    I went out last night with a couple of buddies and caught two nice channels. One on a chicken liver and about a 5 pounder on a 6 inch creek chub. I was bank fishing for about 3 hours and 2 of my poles both went down at 1:30AM and I got both, and after that, they were done biting.

Edit:

To answer your question.. Beech Fork is FULL of channel cats. Any time I want to fill the refrigerator, I head out on the boat, pick a nice looking, stumpy, shallow cove and catch 6-8 eating size channels. Last night was my first time trying larger bait (the big creek chub) and was the largest one I've caught out there. I'll be using some larger bait to see what I can pull out next time. I'll be out there tonight :)

8. catfishguy

catfishguy New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Thanks Aaron. I can't wait until I get a boat next year so I can hit some of the places other than where everybody without a boat fishes. I wish they had some more flatheads out there though.

9. Concept

Concept New Member

State:
    Huntington, West Virginia
    Never caught a flathead out there before. I went out with my Dad and brought home 7 channels and filled the fridge. :wink:

Just about any shallow cove out there is full of channels.

10. catfishguy

catfishguy New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    I just wish they had flatheads and blues.:sad2: