Bee Ready Rod Holders

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Holder Review' started by hawgman, Apr 5, 2008.

1. hawgman

hawgman New Member

State:
    Texas
    Has anyone used the Bee Ready Rod Holders, Do you like or dislike - Pros and Cons?

2. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I havent ever used them but they sound good

3. BAM

BAM New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I have a couple on my boat, they are OK, but I prefer the drift master style rod holders. The two that I have are mounted on a round rail, can't keep them from turning on the rail. If you have a rod angled out, rod has a tendency to flip over when pressure is applied( strong current etc.). They work OK spider rigging for crappie and if the rod and line are in line with center line of holder.

4. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    I sold all my Driftmasters to a BOC member after I tried a couple, then equipped my Catoon with nothing but the Beeready's. Mine are mounted on the square rail, so I don't have a problem with them slipping. I like them better than the DM's because they don't stick up in the air.

5. hawgman

hawgman New Member

State:
    Texas
    Hey Jim, Thanks I have had some good comments about the Bee Ready rod holders. I think I will try a couple of them

6. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Do they hold the rod good if a fish runs side ways with the Rod?
    I know they hold good when holding a rod straight up and down. I know when fishing behind the boat in current if you have the rod at an angle it can try to slide out of the Beereadys.

One of the boards sponsors has a great Rod holder. And it holds a rod well. Does not matter how you use the holder.
    http://www.titelok.com/product_info.php?cPath=18_21_26&products_id=37
    http://www.titelok.com/index.php?cPath=18_21_25
    I have 2 of these and sure like them a lot.
    http://www.titelok.com/product_info.php?cPath=18_21_27&products_id=258 I have all 8 of the holders on most of the time. But have them mounted on the tracks in the front of the boat today and have only 3 on each stand.
    Pete

7. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
  8. hawgman

hawgman New Member

State:
    Texas
    Well I finally decided on the Bee Ready rod holders and have installed them on the mighty SS Catfish. I have been out one time and fished with them and am real pleased with them. Here are some pics of them for those who may be interested.

Attached Files:

9. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    I have seen them before and won't use them because they have a few design flaws that worried me. The fish that we fish for in the Ohio River would take these rod holders out of you boat before you could blink.

These are the flaws that I saw in them:

A. The base didn't look to be strong enough to adequately support the unit.
    Unless you run bolts through the mounting area and put a plate under it, the length of the shaft would act as a lever and rip the bolts out.

B. If you bolted this unit properly, the shaft is too weak to handle very much stress (too long) and will snap at the base.

C. The possiblity of losing two rods is to great for me. I can't go out and replace rods due to faulty rod holders.

D. When the fish are just tapping your line, you have to really watch close to find out which rod it is because they will both move.

Attached Files:

10. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO

That's the only real drawback to the Bee-Ready's - when you have them mounted on a post like that, 2 or 3 wide, you can't tell which rod is getting a bite.

I don't have much concern about their ability to hold - when bolted down properly, they're not going anywhere. And you shouldn't have your drag that tight in any case.

I used Bee-Readys for a while on my last boat but switched to Driftmasters (the 1/2" "Pro" type) and will never look back or switch to anything else. Buy one set of Driftmasters and they'll last a lot longer than you or your boat...

11. hawgman

hawgman New Member

State:
    Texas
    Thanks Marty, I did notice that all rods move when getting a hit but you know what that just gets me more excited. I will try the driftmasters eventually because it is fun trying new stuff.

12. crome

crome New Member

State:
    ilm,nc
    I have just a little movement in the other rods when getting bit,but it's not so much that it's hard to tell which one it is.Do you have a snug fit between the shaft and base? I could see that being a problem and causing the other rods to move.

13. hawgman

hawgman New Member

State:
    Texas
    Crome, Yes the shaft and base fit very snug. I think the movement comes because the shaft i 18" long and with 2-3 rods hanging from the shaft it is just touchy. I really don't care if the other rods move when I get a hit because when a hit comes man let me tell you I'm ready to haul something in. Don't care if it's 1 rod or 2 just let me get that fish in the boat. Know what I mean?