Bee-Jays catfish bait?

Discussion in 'Fishing Bait Review' started by brinley45cal, Apr 19, 2006.

1. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    Anyone ever use bee-jays catfish bait before?Ive been experaminting with some of the premade store bought stuff so far with no luck,this includes danny kings.Im not sure if its the water temp or the spots i fish but i dont think its the spots because last year i was flat out slaying them.Anyway i thought id give it a try since the bee-jays has a guarantee or you can return it.So what do you guys and gals think ?is it any good?

2. steveg442

steveg442 New Member

State:
    missouri
    Bee-jays has been a good back-up bait for me. I use it when other thing just aren't working. I mainly bank fish small lakes and ponds. I don't know how well it works in a current but I keep it in my tackle box.

3. haroldlp

haroldlp New Member

State:
    IN
    I've used BeeJay for years with excellent results, now it isn't that great this early. Works best once water temp is in the 70's or better.

I bottom fish it on a bait holder #6 or 8 treble with a 1/4 oz egg sinker. Have caught channels up to 20# on it.

4. brian sax

brian sax New Member

State:
    shawnee kansas
    i think bee-jay is the best stink bait out there, i havnt tried them all but i have caught many fish on bee-jay. Use little weight and a small trebble and your ready to go. Bee-jay and an ultralight can be hours of fun.

5. LarryW

LarryW New Member

State:
    Abbeville Louisiana
    I used bee-jay when I was in Illinois with good results. Seemed that it was better in the summer when the water was wormer. Have not seen it on the shelf sense I moved to Louisiana

6. brinley45cal

State:
    kentucky
    Im surprised to hear that,you can find it at any wal-mart here.I figured since it was made for my favorite eating fish the channel i figured why not.

7. tehrealmccoy

tehrealmccoy New Member

State:
    Streator, Illin
    I think the water is still a bit too cool for dip baits. I never had much luck with Bee-Jays I tried it once and couldn't get it to stay on so it got pitched.

8. pursuing_cats

pursuing_cats New Member

State:
    Clarksville,Tennessee
    Bee Jays rules. I was fishing a pond last year that was stocked and was not catching anything. On the other side of the pond was and older gentleman and he was reeling them in one after another. The rest of the people that were the had the same luck I had (none). My wife asked him what he was using and he said Bee Jays. I just happened to have a jar in my box that had been there for a year. I added a little water to make it sticky again and within 15 minutes the rods were getting a work out. We ended up with 15 channels that day and I owe it all to the man who shared the info with us and Bee Jays.

9. RiverKing

RiverKing Active Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    never tried that, but every other prepared bait i have ever used has not produced for me..I do know a few guys that will only fish with prepared baits though

10. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    I have Used Bee-Jay In THe Past With Good Results, I Haven't Found Any Here In FL. Yet. I never Did Catch Any Big Fish On It But Lots Of Good Eatin' Size Ones Though.

Good Luck,Elliot

11. kspor

kspor New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    I used to work for a sporting goods store. We sold it by the case. It worked great around here and caught some really nice fish. I think you will like it.

12. brinley45cal

State:
    kentucky
    Thanks guys ill give it try once the water starts warming up and see what happens.

13. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    I think your right i used to use it and if i remember the water temp had to be above 70 or so for it to work good. i dident have much luck catching any larger chanel with it but i know some people have i mostly use live bait now and fresh cut bait, good luck Bigcatman0816.

14. TA2D

TA2D New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    My wifes grandfather swears by it, says it works perfect for eater size cats, up to 5-6lbs. I don't have much experience with it, but I am gonna try it this year. Seems like every store around here that has some fishing tackle has at least a case of Bee-Jays, if you need some I am sure that I could help out.

Aaron

TA2D

15. warcraft1975

warcraft1975 New Member

used for years when i was a kid,got alot of channels over 20 pounds on over the years

16. catmankev

catmankev New Member

State:
    Valmeyer, Illinois
    I've always had good luck with BEE JAY. One tip I feel that helps is to keep it in the cooler. Keeps it firm, stays on the hook longer.:wink:

17. illnoize

illnoize New Member

State:
    illinois
    Its the only store bought bait Ive had lots of luck with. Add some Garlic salt to it and it works alittle better.

18. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Plattsburg,Mo.(near K.C.)
    The guy that invented and marketed it lived just up the road from me.( he passed away 3 years ago)By the looks of his houses and ponds,he did O.K. with it!!:big_smile:
    Good for eaters.

19. crazychuy

crazychuy New Member

State:
    Southern California
    How do you use the stuff???????????????

CHUY