Bee Identity ???

Discussion in 'Garden Tips And Talk' started by Kutter, Sep 1, 2008.

1. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    I am attaching a couple of pics of a ?bee? I have in my garden. I have never seen one like it before. Main attention getter is the size, it's over 2 inches long!!!! Shape could be a wasp of some kind, but it appears hairy which would lead me to think it was a bee. It is a ground nester. There are dozens of holes with the telltale dirt pile beside them, in my bean row. The holes are big enough to easily insert my thumb. I tried to get a better pic, but after days of following him around, I have never seen him land or go into the holes. He does seem to be protecting them, but is not aggressive to me. Actually, I have seen two or three of them, but mainly just one.

2. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Looks like what we call a Sand Hornet up here.

Don't know if that is their correct name or not.

3. rrssmith

rrssmith New Member

State:
    Bakersfield
  4. daddio

daddio New Member

State:
    kansas
    we call em ciccada killers at my place you always see em eating the ciccadas

5. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    Thank you all! Yes, the Cicada Killer Wasp turns out to be what I have infesting my garden. After reading up on it, I now know it's not a big problem. The male is the one who guards the nest burrow and has no stinger. He feeds on nectar from flowers, mostly. The female rarely comes out of the nest and mainly uses her stinger to kill cicada's and will use it for protection as a last resort. They only show up here around mid July and should be gone any day now. At least their digging in the garden instead of the yard. I read that they prefer sandy dirt areas best.
    Thanks again, I didn't want to bother it till I found out if it was a pest or beneficial bug. Turns out it is mostly bothersome, but not dangerous if left alone.

6. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Kutter, that's really an alien come to invade our planet. Be careful, the've been known to abduct tired old fishermen that make they're own wine. I'd hate to see you get carried off by wasp looking aliens. LOL

7. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    Speaking of.........where has JW been lately?:eek:oooh: