Beavers

Discussion in 'Kayaker and Canoe Fishing' started by Kansas Tree Rat, Jun 4, 2009.

1. Kansas Tree Rat

Kansas Tree Rat New Member

State:
    Waverly, Kansas
    Friggin Beavers can sure scare the crap out of you when you are yakin along in the dark....LOL:eek:oooh:

2. BowieKnife357

BowieKnife357 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    That is a fact. I can attest to that. Raccoons can too.

3. rush_60

rush_60 New Member

State:
    Troy, KS
    Grass carp can be pretty bad too. They dont jump out of the water like they do for motor boats, but they dont move out of the way while I'm coasting along.

4. Mr. Foster

Mr. Foster New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Im not yaking, but when Im walking at night, its the snakes this year that are giveing me a fright. :crazy:

5. jeremiad

jeremiad Well-Known Member

Name:
    Unspecified
    I had a beaver give me the fright of my life during the day about a year ago! Because the kayak is so quiet, I can slip up on creatures without them (or even me) knowing it.

I approached the beaver with my back to him; he was behind a tangle of roots and didn't notice me.

All of a sudden, WHAP!!!

The beaver hit the water only a couple of feet from me. I thought a tree was falling on me! Apparently beavers do a massive "belly flop" to confuse and frighten wannabe predators. He didn't have to worry about me hurting him! :wink:

6. rush_60

rush_60 New Member

State:
    Troy, KS

They actually slap their tails. It supposedly warns all the other beavers in the area. Even when your ready for it that still startles you.

7. xnmcclurex

xnmcclurex Active Member

State:
    Pittsburgh Pa
    i fish a river called the beaver river (no pun intended) and its loaded with beavers, as soon as night hits they all come up onto land, those things are like the size of a medium sized dog:crazy:

8. unclebuncle

unclebuncle New Member

State:
    Humboldt,K
    Sudden loud noises in the dark are never good unless it happens to your little brother haha!

9. riverdawg-1

riverdawg-1 New Member

State:
    salem, va
    i run into beavers alot at night. even when i see them or know they are in the area it still makes jump 10 feet when they spash right next to you. as far as racoons i've had more runins than i wish. on the new river a few years ago 4 of us put our canoes in just before dark and paddled upstream to a spot to catfish for the night. one of my friends had just started fishing and this was probably the first time at night. about 2 in the morning he jumped up screaming like a little girl about a racoon. i was crying i was laughing so hard at him until i realized by that point that the racoon was only about 2 feet from me. i smacked it a rod and it came back so i smaked it with a paddle and he came back so i ended up making the luckiest throw of my life with a big rock and killed it. then 4 other ones starterd making a chirping sound and were coming down the hill right at us. youv'e never seen 4 grown men grabbing all our stufgfa nd throwing it a canoe and getting out of there in the middle of the night.
    chip

10. recordbreakin1

recordbreakin1 New Member

State:
    texas
    THEY CAN SURE MESS YOU UP IF ONE GETS AHOLD OF YOU.

11. BowieKnife357

BowieKnife357 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Few weeks ago I was paddling up on the Walnut River in Kansas on a narrow section that has trees hanging over it all the way across. Was just after dark and I was on my way back to the truck when a raccoon must have fallen off a tree branch right above me cuz he landed on the nose of my kayak about a foot and a half in front of me, kinda thumped and bounced off then popped up out of the water and started trying to climb back onto it. Got him fended off with my paddle and he made for the bank which wasn't that far anyway. I think he was as surprised as I was. Scared the crap out of me when he just fell right in front of me. Had a buddy on the water in a little jon boat and he saw the whole thing, I think he's probably still laughing right now.

12. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    Got tons of beaver here too. They sound like someone throwing a block in the water, LOL. They got me one time like most people. Aint had a raccoon encounter though.....ok with me. Unless they jump off bridges too I'm pretty safe, we don't have over hanging trees where I fish.

13. ronniethomas

ronniethomas New Member

State:
    iowa
    I was always told that thats why they make water dynomite!!!!!!!!!!! lol

14. Catfish Dave

Catfish Dave New Member

State:
    Iowa
    One night just after releasing a fish and rerigging my bait I had a great blue heron try to land on my boat. I just barely caught sight of the silhouette in front of the clouds and I had no idea what it was, just big and flying and landing on my kayak. That scared the heck out of me.

After I waved my fishing rod around it flew away and saw what it was and realized that my life was not really in jeopardy.

I'd never have thought I'd see that in Iowa. Florida maybe but not Iowa.

Dave.

15. jeremiad

jeremiad Well-Known Member

Name:
    Unspecified
    LOL! Welcome to the BOC, Dave! :0a25:

16. weinerdog

weinerdog Member

State:
    Florida
    No kayaking at night here. Alligators!!!!!

17. pebblepoint

pebblepoint New Member

State:
    Marion
    Speaking of beavers. Here's a story that few people believe except my wife and I who saw it. I had a "birch bark" looking fiberglass canoe parked upside down by the lake.
    The next day, we find long lines of flat, broad teeth marks.
    But we didn't see the Mr. Magoo beaver that was undoubtably spitting fiberglass for weeks.
    don
    Illinois

18. msd7806

msd7806 New Member

State:
    Pegram, TN
    Buddy and I went on a two day trip one time and that night i was catfishing off the gravel bar we were camping on. Well the bite was slow and my buddy pasted out early. So there i am snug in my sleeping bag playing monopoly on my IPOD when I hear some racket coming from near my pole. I look up and there sat the biggest coon I have ever seen laping up the turkey liver right out of the tub. He was only 5 feet or so away. I jump up and yell. He just looks at me then slowly walks back into the woods. I slept in the boat the rest of the night. My buddy never saw him, he just woke to me yelling at the durn thing and never saw it. He still thinks I was dreaming the whole thing. Now, I'm from south LA and have plenty of times where I was fighting the coons when they got stuck in the feed bins. Them and possums will eat you alive giving the chance.

Now the beavers; I dont mond the tail slap as bas as when they drag a bunch of cane on the bank and start knwing on it. Sounds like a whole class room of kids scraping a chaulk board. At least when you hear the tail slap they dont want to be near you.

19. hct236

hct236 Well-Known Member

State:
    virginia
    yup, and they will swim by silently and swim into your lines and then ya got a mess on your hands.