beaver tail water

Discussion in 'Trout Fishing' started by slabmaster, Jun 21, 2008.

1. slabmaster

slabmaster New Member

State:
    missouri
    takeing a guy fishing saturday 6/21 who has never caught a trout before. we will fish the beaver tail water probably troll a little and then do some bait fishing . report to follow.

2. Guns & Cockpits

Guns & Cockpits New Member

State:
    California
    Sounds like a blast! Take some photos if you can, I'd love to see the waters you're fishing.

3. slabmaster

slabmaster New Member

State:
    missouri
    Erik i am coputer illeterate i don't even know how to cut and paste a url. wish i could help ya out with photos but i am a little bit country.

4. Guns & Cockpits

State:
    California
    That's all right buddy, if it weren't for my wife, you and I'd be in that boat together!

5. slabmaster

slabmaster New Member

State:
    missouri
    6-21 put the boat in the water at 7:15am put the boat back on the trailer at 1:30 pm we caught 36 trout. i brown and 35 rainbows. fish were 11-17 inches long . most fish were in the slot we caught a lot of fish in the 15 to 16 inch range. they are gonna be fun on a 4 weight when the water gets down to wadeable levels. we caught fish on shad raps,wally divers spoons and power bait tipped with wax worms.i got to show some folks how to rig a small carolina rig along with a couple of different ways to rig bait. i hope they caught fish . the guy i took was like a kid in a candy store. a good time was had by all. river dropped 18 inches since last weekend. it is still bank full with no wadeable opportunities.we did keep a limit for the supper table.

6. Guns & Cockpits

State:
    California
    Sounds like a good time was had by all. It's tough to beat a good meal of fresh caught trout.

7. duckalot

duckalot Well-Known Member

State:
    Missouri
    How do you guys prepare your trout? I wrap mine whole in tin foil butter and lemon and grill them. Was wanting to fillet some and fry them. Are they to bony for that?

8. Guns & Cockpits

State:
    California
    I don't know about them being too bony for filleting, but there are easier ways of cooking them, that's for sure. When we fry them, and we almost always do, we just gut them and leave the skin on, and toss the whole fish in the egg, batter, and pan. After they're fried, the skin peels away really easily. We fry them up in a skillet next to a big wok full of potatoes and onions, and it's a meal like none other. My favorite part of trout fishing is the fresh fried trout, with a big heaping helping of fried potatoes and onions.

9. slabmaster

slabmaster New Member

State:
    missouri
    i sometimes wrap mine in foil and grill them. when i fry them i skin them first. they are very easy to skin. i gut the fish and remove gills. i then hold the fish in my left hand and break the head up over the top of the back. the skin will still be attatched to the skin. use the head to pull the skin off the flesh. there are several ways to fry them one i like is towel dry fish. sprinkle fish with louisiana hot sauce. salt and pepper, roll in cornmeal and release in very hot grease. i really like to deep fry my trout when they float there done.

10. slabmaster

slabmaster New Member

State:
    missouri
    as far as filleting goes i am not that patient. i have learned a process after thay are cooked that achives the same result as filleting. when i fry trout i leave the tail on them. when i get ready to eat one i hold the tail in one hand and use a fork to loosen the meat near the base of the tail. the trout will be laying on it's side useing the spine for refrence the flesh i remove is between the spine and the plate. hold the meat with your fork and lift the tail . this will fillet the trout. turn the trout over run your fork between the flesh and the spine, lfit the tail and there,s your other fillet. break the tail off the spine. eat the tail and throw the spine in the trash. enjoy your fillet-o-trout.

11. catchaser19

catchaser19 New Member

State:
    UTAH
    Wow that was real good info. I never knew you could eat the tail though. Aint it way to thin and crunchy? Any way good posts. Thanks for the new ideas.

12. jolie

jolie New Member

State:
    PA
    yes, you can fillet a trout. I fillet all my trout. if your state stocks, those fish will be the most difficult but if they are wild-caught. its really not too difficult.

like bass, trout have a line of bones, just above the ribs, that stick out (perpendicular to the backbone) towards the lateral line. that is why dealing with just the tail is much easier. on a wild trout, kept cold the flesh is firm and you can cut out those lateral bones.

Rex, congrats on a fun trip! a little rep to ya.

13. richard dunbar

richard dunbar New Member

State:
    Washington
    Any trout larger than 16 inches are fine for that but I would stick with the gril

14. PuterrMike

PuterrMike New Member

State:
    Mohntana
    I use the traditonal cleaning method first and formost, run knife thru the lower jaw, slit it from the butthole to the gills, and put fanger in slot under jaw, and pull.. all the guts pull out easilly, then run it under water, taking finger and running it along the spine to get rid of the goopy doo. LOL.
    Leave the tail attached, and pan fry. Serve with fried taters, cauliflower and fresh hand picked asparagus. Talk about a tasty meal!