Beaver sets ....

Discussion in 'Trapping & Fur Taking' started by RetiredToFish, Dec 30, 2008.

1. RetiredToFish

RetiredToFish New Member

State:
    Newark, Ohio
    Well, made my first beaver sets yesterday as well as a few mink and coon sets ..... Today .... Well, it does appear that old dogs can learn at least something .... I got my first Beaver ... EVER ... today ... It wasn't a big one, but it was a start ... Also had another #330 tripped. Should have had a coon, some dummy forgot to take the safety hook off of the spring ... he got my bait and left his tracks all over the place. Also caught one rat in a #330, another rat in a mink set and two mink. So..... it was a pretty good day ... all in all ...... Garry-

Attached Files:

2. getthenet

getthenet New Member

State:
    ohio
    are they worth anything now

3. RetiredToFish

RetiredToFish New Member

State:
    Newark, Ohio
    Well ... not much, but they are worth the exercise .... which I need ... and it help me keep my mind sharp .... just dodging the jaws of a #330 conibear is enough to do that ...... :smile2: Garry-

4. Wabash River Bear

Wabash River Bear New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Yum, beaver & muskrat, thems good eatin. Fried up, reminds me of pork steak. :roll_eyes:

5. RetiredToFish

RetiredToFish New Member

State:
    Newark, Ohio
    Added another small beav today .... plus a couple other critters .... Garry-

Attached Files:

6. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Looks like a good day Garry, congrats and Happy New Years man! rollo

7. Mike81

Mike81 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    Congrats on the catches Garry. Yeh, be careful with those 330s or you'll be typing on here with your nose...lol I haven't trapped beaver since I left Alaska but it was always great fun...I caught most of them in snares under the ice and only a couple in 330s.

8. rush_60

rush_60 New Member

State:
    Troy, KS
    I cant believe thats your first beaver. They are easier to catch than coon. Thats the main thing I trap for, and coon just on the side. Be careful on the ice. If its legal in your state you should think about moving up to a 660 conibear. I have much better luck with them.

9. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    good to see your catching Gary. I used to catch most of my beaver below the dams. Find the slide on the downside of the dam that the beaver use to cross over the dam to get to the downside of the dam to inspect it. They all use the same slide. Place your 330 at the bottom of the slide down in the water with 4 to six inches sticking up out of the water and when they slide down the dam they will slide right into your trap. No bait needed.

How is that hook for setting those 330's working for you??

Hope it is working well for ya as it did for me.

10. beetle

beetle New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Way to go Garry! You are having a pretty good season. I got my first beaver this season also. I never tried to trap them before but they moved in on my property and I had to go on damage control, two so far in snares. The weather is killing me. My water sets keep getting frozen in or washed out from hi water. I finally got around to making one of your rat colony cages and did catch one in it before the creek came up and bured my trap, I finally found it today. Good luck the rest of the season to everyone

11. RetiredToFish

RetiredToFish New Member

State:
    Newark, Ohio
    Way to go Roger on your first Beav and you rat catch in the colony trap ... I've got the 2 Beavs now and just finsihed skinning the second one .... WOW! .... what a pain ... first one took me 1 hour 15 min .... the second one only took 45 minutes. I am not going to put them up ... just skin and freeze .... don't think my hands and arms can handle trying to flesh one of those Bad Boys .... and don't really have room for a bunch of big boards sitting around ...... Garry-

12. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    Eat a Beaver Save a Tree........................:big_smile_2: