Beaver River

Discussion in 'PENNSYLVANIA RIVERS TALK' started by jetboy, Oct 4, 2006.

1. jetboy

jetboy New Member

State:
    Pa
    I'm going to be down in Hopewell Township this Weekend, My wife has a wedding shower on Saturday. I was going to go down and try the beaver river. The outflow of the two dams in New Brighton is where I was looking to fish. If not there, maybe somewhere along the ohio. Do they allow you to fish at the outflow or how can I access that. I know there is a park there but don't know where to park and how to get there. I don't feel like pulling the boat down there for one day. Thanks for the information.
    Chris

2. socex

socex New Member

State:
    Industry, Pennsylvania
    Chris,

If you are fishing from shoe then go to the brighton dam where the fish park is. There is parking with numerous steps and a ramp to walk down to the river. First go look at the turbine section to see if it is turned on. If it's off, then that is where you want to fish. If it is on the 50 yards down from the dam is a bordwalk with som kind of swimming pool ladder hanging off of it. thats spot 2. You really should take the boat though cause there some really goo spots out in the middle where the current rolls back up towards the rocks. They wait and ambush bait in these spots. Hope I was helpfull and good luck.

3. DeerHunter01

DeerHunter01 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    socex:

Do they still allow you to fish on the lock side of the dam on the other side of the river from you, I use to park at the dam and walk down behind it and fish, We use to catch alot of nice cats out of there.

I do know New Brighton side of the Beaver river at the dam is a very good place to fish for flatheads in the evenings. Also right at the ramp in Monaca lower end is a very good spot too.

4. bigblaze

bigblaze New Member

State:
    NC
    I fished above the New Brighton dam When I used to live in Monaca. We used to catch humongus carp right above the dam...my biggest was almost 4' long it almost pulled me into the water (caught it on doe ball)...we used to catch allot of walleye below the dam but never fished for cats in that stretch of river...

i miss fighting those huge carp...

good luck!!!

5. FlatheadMan

FlatheadMan New Member

State:
    Freedom,Pa
    Chris we will be down there fri and sat your welcome to join us bro

6. socex

socex New Member

State:
    Industry, Pennsylvania
    I went down to the brighton dam last night. The turbines were on so I went down about 300 yards right below a little island. I put the lines in at 6:30 and didn't get a run. At 7:30 the fish woke up and started biting. I caught a 15# 11# and an 8# from 7:30 to 9:30. I had one run 3/4 of my spool out before it finally broke. I really wish I was on the boat to run him down. That's the only down side of fishing from shore there, if a big one gets in the current it's hard to slow em up. I might come down and join you Mike.

7. jetboy

jetboy New Member

State:
    Pa
    Thanks for the invite FlatheadMan, Sorry we couldn't get together, too much family stuff going on. But next time, hopefully we'll meet up.
    we'll, the traffic stunk, but the fishing was good.
    On the way out to beaver county, I sat in traffic for about an 1:20 before we got of the butler exit to detour around an accident. On saturday, My wife dropped me off at the big rock park in New Brighton at about 11:30 saturday morning. I met some nice people who pointed me in the right direction. I had an excellent day of fishing. I couldn't keep saugers in the 7"-10" range off my line. I caught a smallmouth about 8", three white bass that were pretty good size, numerous sauger, a 18" walleye and a small carp. about 4 oclock, since I brought a cat rod, I figured I would use it. The next fish I caught was a legal sauger, I had my cooler with ice packs, so I filleted half that sauger. I cast it out and it wasn't three minutes and I had a good run, I set the hook and fought the fish for a little bit. It was a nice flathead, I got him up to that concrete walkway, but he was still about 4 feet below me, I layed on my belly and still couldn't reach him, as some man was bringing his net over, he broke my line. I would estimate him around sixteen pounds or so. Soon after that, my wife came to pick me up. So I had a great time and you guys have a pretty nice place to fish down there. There are definetly quite a few snags there, but I bet you could get into some nice walleyes there in about a month. The next time I am down that way, I will definetly stop and make a few casts.