Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well my family has expressed their desire to go fishing and camping over Memorial Day Weekend. So trying to be a good dad, I went ahead and reserved a few campsites for my family. The campsites are in the Prairie Creek area.

I was wondering does any one have any experience fishing in this area? Or do you have any advice? This is my first time on Beaver Lake, and I intend to take my small (14') boat out there as well to hit a few of the out of the way spots.

· Registered
2,240 Posts
I won't be mutch help, because I haven't fished Beaver scince the late 60"s, Its a clear and deep lake, used to have lots of trees, I'll bet they are gone now, I had better luck fishing at nite bacuse of the clear water

· Registered
4,408 Posts
Richard,
I have lived up here close to Beaver for 11 years, and have fished it the whole time.
I also fished it back in the 80's when in school at the university.
All I can say is don't mess with it for catfish. I have jugged it with only a few fish here and there.
Down in your area of Prairie Creek, it is getting clear. It is gin clear down by the dam.
Your 14' boat will be good though in that area. I don't know if the water will be way up after these rains, but from the marina towards the back of Prairie creek can be good fishing for about anything. You will probably be swamped by the jet ski'ers on Mem weekend, but most will be from the marina on out.
If you head up the creek (left from the ramp....away from the marina), there is a long creek that forks to the right. I don't remember the name, but it is long and would provide you lots of rock/brush to fish.
If you stay on the ramp side of the lake and go up, that is the end of Prairie creek.
I have caught a lot of bass up there......all the way to the back.
If you are wanting to catfish, you might set some jugs out or just fish it at night.
Be careful when the jet ski's and big boats are out.
If you are wanting to just catch some fish, I would get a tube of crickets or worms and head to the banks/brush and wear out the bream.
Good luck. Hope this helps. Have fun

· Registered
530 Posts
My son in law fished Beaver under lights last weekend and did real well. Caught walleye, white bass.
They tie off from a bluff in 100 ft of water, put out shad nets with lights for a constant supply of live shad. About midnight the shad surround the boat and brings in all kinds of larger fish. They catch em suspended at about 40 ft. Cats are rare

Reactions: ccat

· Registered
10,863 Posts
Chris told ya right, the long creek he mentioned is coose hollow. You'll see a deep point on the left going into it. Good spot to drag a deep diving crank bait or a gig. By the time ya'll get there the spawn should be over and most of the fish will suspend in deeper water. Going from the marina towards the back, there are some concrete slabs under the water on the left bank past the 2nd. pocket. great bass fishin. Beaver has some nice catfish too but not what i consider ideal. The camp ground is beautiful, has nice playground for kids and swimming area.

· Registered
40 Posts
I went Juggin Friday night On Beaver. Caught 12 mixed channels and flats. But the kicker fish of the night was a 39 pound Blue. I dont know why every one knocks Beaver for catfish I always do good on Beaver. I was late getting around and when I started putting my jugs out I ran up on someone elses jugs i just threw mine right in with theirs. During the night I seen 3 of their jugs get fish on them, and I caught 12 right out of the middle of their jugs. IVe got a pic of the Blue Ill put it on Here in my next post. Ill also put up some past catches on Jugs on Beaver.

And the cove you guys mentioned earlier that splits to the right Going west from the Prairie creek Marina is Avoca Hollow. The one to the left is Old 12 the one to the right is Avoca Hollow. Coose Hollow is East of Prairie Creek Marina.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.