Beaver Dams = Good Fishing

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by mtrimble, Oct 21, 2005.

1. mtrimble

mtrimble New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    anybody here have luck fishing beaver dams? Ive found that a good beaver dam usually holds good sized channels and 1 0r 2 flats. The one I usually fish on has a few beavers in it and they will clack their teeth at you from inside their den while you fish. Its a bit strange at first but usually you can poke a stick down at em to get em to quite down.

2. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Dont know about the dams, but do the beavers themselves bother you? We fish the Scioto River & these darn things will swin w/ in 20 yards & splash their tails. it's rela loud, I was thinking that it might scare fish away. What do ya think?

3. mtrimble

mtrimble New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    Beavers themselves have become a pest recently. They are overpopulated. They also take down to many trees. I was told that you cannot get anything for their pelts either since PETA has destroyed the fur trade. That tale splashing probably does scare the fish. But their dens hold alot of fish. When I sit right on top of it I really dont have trouble with them popping their tales on the water. But they do growl a bit and click their teeth at me from inside the den. This den is on a smaller river (most of the year) and it extends right out into the channel. The water cuts around it creating a deep pocket. Its great fish habitat.

4. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I have thought more than once of taking out the .45 & creating some fresh cut bait Beaver!

5. JAYNC

JAYNC Active Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    I normally fish where there are lots of beavers. They do splash their tails in the water a lot and it doesnt seem to affect the fishing. The fish in that area are used to it since the beavers do it all the time. I used to think that making a lot of noise fishing made me catch less fish. two weeks ago I put it to the test. I was fishing alone, I pulled up the this small feeder creek with brush in it and a big fallen tree in the water about 25 yds down river. I pulled within 25 feet of the mouth of the creek and dropped the front anchor. I let out about 40' of line, I threw the back anchor out which made a huge splash. pulled on the front rope, about 15' and tightened everything down. All I can say is within 3 hours I had a 52# blue, 24# blue and a 35# flat in the boat, since then I have made as much noise as possible and it doesnt seem to matter. I guess it depends on the area your fishing also. But around here it doesnt seem to matter. Those beavers are annoying though, is it illegal to shoot them???

6. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Here in Ohio, its not illegal, they have a season, but I guess to crack the old Colt .45 auto off on some from the bank while fishing would get mr a nice fine! :)

7. mtrimble

mtrimble New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    I spoke with a guy that worked for the forest service in Arkansas when I was fishing the lower white river. One of his job assignments was shooting beaver. They just shoot em and let em rot. They are actually not native to that area and have the potential to do a lot of damage. Id be surprised if its illegal to shoot them amywhere outside of ROCKY mOUNTAIN NATIONAL park considering how abundant they are. That guy claimed that there are more beavers in the U.S. now then when the whites first came over. Ive yet to verify that but it would not surprise me. But dont get me wrong I actually really like beaver.

8. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    No doubt about it, OHio has a trapping season & you MUST buy a furbearer permit.

9. BassMassey

BassMassey Well-Known Member

State:
    Oconee
    i've fished around central ohio also......I don't know if you have heard of the licking river, but i have a nice spot toward dillon resovoir.....there is a beaver that always swims right by our spot..........it seems like everytime he swims by we get some hits.........i look at it like good luck

10. mtrimble

mtrimble New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    Does anyone know if beavers will get aggressive if your in the water with them? I get into the rivers I fish in alot and never had problems with them. My dog also blasts after them like a bullet when she spots them. Ive always wondered what damage a beaver could do to her. She hasn't found out yet. I figured that beavers will run rather than attack if they feel threatened but I dont know that for sure. What do you guys think?

11. pendog66

pendog66 New Member

State:
    Brookville OH
    Beaver dams are very good places to fish. I fish a 2 or 3 acre pond here by my house that has beavers on it or atleast did. They kept the pond fishable by clearing the trees around it. But some moron or morons trapped and killed the beaver smashing the top of the dam. I have seen 2 baby's around the new dam that was smashed. But still havent seen the big guy in awhile. But sometimes they can be a nusiance but other times they are very healthy for a lake or pond

12. Bayoubear

Bayoubear New Member

State:
    near that hellhole dallas
    ive never known a beaver to show any signs of aggression. usually they either avoid humans/animals totally or just swim away. spook them good and it can take an hour before they come out again. nutria can appear to be beavers from a slight distance and are not as timid as beavers. if up around you while fishing is it possible its nutria youre seeing?

beaver ponds may or may not be any good to fish. id say the largest determining factor is how long has the pond been there? ten years or ten days? if ten years then how long since it was last busted? is it a true beaver pond or merely a pond that had some beavers move in?

old beaver ponds are usually flooded timber brakes full of habitat for fish and if left alone long enough provide fantastic fishing. that being said, as a landowner im all too happy to put a hollow point thru any and all beavers i find. massive destruction to property values, loss of timber, and a royal pain to keep under control. dig out the dam with a backhoe, drain it, kill any and all beavers, and keep on digging it out and eventually they will leave for good but will always have to keep an eye out. once drained and dry, if safe to do so, soak the remnants of the damn with diesel fuel, toss in some old scrap tires, and burn it to the ground.