Beaver and Ohio River Fishing Spot's

Discussion in 'PENNSYLVANIA RIVERS TALK' started by back channel, Jan 6, 2006.

1. back channel

back channel Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I have heard that where the beaver river runs into the ohio river is a good catfish spot. Has anyone ever fished around there and if so is it as good as it is supposed to be?

2. the_nis

the_nis Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    Hey back channel, welcome to the BOC!

Yes, where the Beaver and Ohio meet, is supposed to be a good spot to fish. I never have personally but there used to be a guy on this board years ago that swore by it.

Do you fish at the back channel? Just curious, because of your name...

3. back channel

back channel Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    yes, most of the time. That is why I picked the name.

4. the_nis

the_nis Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    Yeah I fish at the back channel a decent amount. Not too much last though for some reason. Do you fish right up against the dam or down from it?

5. back channel

back channel Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    usually a little down from the dam because there is always people up there. There is a a little island that goes out into the water. That is where I fish. I also fish right under the neville island bridge. there is pretty good fishing there.

6. the_nis

the_nis Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    What all do you catch further down from the dam? Good sized cats? I always try to get as close to the dam as possible.

Underneath the Neville Island bridge...Is that where the creek empties into the river? (I forget the name of it)

Where else do you fish on the Ohio? I've fished a bunch of places between Emsworth and Leetsdale...

7. back channel

back channel Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    when i fish under the bridge it is usually on the other side not on the side where montour creek( I think thats the name of the creek) runs into it. When just fishing to catch anything i have cuaght drum, channel and flathead cats, walleye, alewife, smallmouth buffalo, small bass, rock bass, largemouth bass, carp, turtles and a couple stripped bass. When fishing in july with minnows(should have shinners) i had on atleast a 35 inch cat. I know it was that big beacvuse the one in the picture was a little over 31". Got it about 5 feet from shore and it got hung up one a log. I walked out to the fish and it broke my line. So there are some nice cats there. Later that month in the fishing report in the paper someone got a 30 plus pounder in the same spot.

8. back channel

back channel Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    oh yeah I usually just stick to the back channel because there is so much shore line to fish from. other than that i will fish the other rivers.

9. the_nis

the_nis Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    Thats cool. Yeah Like I said , I've fished the back channel for many years now. Do you have much luck getting stuff to stay on the bottom without it drifting too much? Thats the problem I usually have down there. Of course a lot of that problem is due to the fact that I'm usually fishing within 50 yards from the dam itself.

10. back channel

back channel Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    yeah i have the drifting problem furthur away from the dam. i usually use three once sinkers though. what size flats do you catch up that close to the dam?

11. the_nis

the_nis Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    Really I haven't caught many decent cats up there. The biggest was probably around 25" or so. I've caught some decent walleye up there though. I've seen some monster walleye and stripers caught there.