Beautiful Day/Slow Night On the Scioto

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by Garrett Cope, Sep 1, 2009.

1. Garrett Cope

Garrett Cope New Member

State:
    Columbus Ohio
    Hit The Scioto Sunday with Mike (RIVERRUNT) south of Columbus. The weather was breezy and cooler so we got there around 3 pm to do some scouting and baitfishing. Sometimes perfect weather for sightseeing isn't such perfect weather for fishing and we had a hell of a time trying to catch bait. With the cold front the shad were just as elusive as the Bluegill so we were at a disadvantage from the start. The river was up some and the current was deceptively strong. I managed to get some decent pics of the area and we finally set up to Catfish around nightfall. The only action was early on and i got a 4lber on a shallow flat just off stronger current. It's amazing how much harder even SMALLER river channels fight compared to lake fish. I though he'd go at least 8 lbs from the fight he gave me. Mike got a good hit and set the hook only to have the line snap just as he did. Must have been a pretty good one. We tried about 6 diffferent areas but between the cold front,the current and our lack of great bait it was a very slow night. We left around 1 am. Thanks again Mike for the trip. Next time we'll bring more bait and the bite will be better i'm sure.

Attached Files:

2. Garrett Cope

Garrett Cope New Member

State:
    Columbus Ohio
    A few more pics..... It really is a beautiful stretch of the river.

Attached Files:

3. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    Good looking place to fish. Keep after em you'll catch some out of them places

4. catfishfearme

catfishfearme New Member

State:
    govecity,ohio
    good to hear you got something,hey thanks for them pics of the river buddy they were nice, what is it with you and them gloves brother, hey from what i hear that mite be smart thinking, if you fishing in that river, like i sead, i hear, any way thank you:wink:

5. Hoopie

Hoopie New Member

State:
    Ohio
    You guys launch at 665?

6. smoothkip25

smoothkip25 New Member

State:
    ohio
    Glad to see you and Mike got out Garrett. Fishing will pick back up soon, Good luck to you guys on your next trip.

7. Garrett Cope

Garrett Cope New Member

State:
    Columbus Ohio
    Yeah. We launched at 665.

8. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    It's a crazy difference, I have had blues in the 10 lb range put the tips of drift rods in the water no problem...:eek:oooh:

9. Colsrob

Colsrob Active Member

State:
    Ohio, Columbus
    I was at the river on Mon night...not far from where you fished. My boat is too big, so I had to bank it. :) My first hit came at about 8:30. It was so big that I couldn't get it turned quick enough, and it took me right into a log pile. I could still feel it pulling, but ended up breaking the line. It just wouldn't come back out.

After finally latching onto a turtle(TKO!) that kept bothering me(about 10lbs), I didn't get any action til 9:30. That ended up being a nice 12lber. After that, it went completely dead. I stayed until midnight, but didn't get another hit.

10. Angler4life

Angler4life New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Thanks for sharing the news. Better luck next time.

11. ohiocattin15

ohiocattin15 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    that stretch of the river looks like some good water, im gonna have to hit that neck of the woods sometime

12. RIVERRUNT

RIVERRUNT New Member

State:
    reynoldsburg ohio
    yeah you couldnt have picked a nicer day.great fall type weather.well hit it again in a few days and the water levels get pretty much back to normal

13. cats gone wild

cats gone wild Member

State:
    canal winchester, ohio
    Those are some nice areas you showed. I have fished the Scioto down around Circleville. Never have targeted flatheads just channels. If the water is really low I might as well forget it, boat and I are a little too heavy.:sad2: