Beatles or Rolling Stones?

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by KATMANDETTE, May 23, 2007.

1. KATMANDETTE

KATMANDETTE New Member

State:
    Cedar Key, Florida
    Which is/was your favorite, and what is/was your favorite tune?

I'll go first!!!! Rolling Stones! "You can't always get what you want."

Stilling rocking, and will be in the rocking chairs too, I'll betcha!

Mikey:cool2:

2. Believer

Believer New Member

State:
    Greenwood, AR.
    I'm not a big fan of either, but I would say Beatles.

3. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    I'd have to say the Stones. They held it together all this time and that's a great accomplishment when the average life expectancy of a rock & roll band is only 2 1/2 years. They are also the band that started introducing me to all the great bluesmen like Willie Dixon, Muddy Waters, Howlin' Wolf, etc. There is a song from their first album (remember albums?) that I still play; Little Red Rooster by Willie Dixon.
    The Beatles were better song writers.

4. riverdawg-1

riverdawg-1 New Member

State:
    salem, va
    I would have to say the Stones, although I really like teh Beatles later stuff-from Sgt Peppers and later.

5. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    As a musician I would say that I always prefered the Beatles, great songwriters. I like the Stones to, both bring back memories.

6. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    I gotta say BOTH!:cool2: These 2 bands changed the world!

7. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY

I agree with Tom on this one...Lots of memories from both! :cool2::lol:

8. Ghost River

Ghost River New Member

State:
    Carolina
    I'm probably going to loose all credibility here but I think they are both among the most overrated rock backs in history. Particularly the Beatles. I mean they had some good songs but then the next one would be "Yellow Submarine" :crazy:. What is that crap?

9. rosscatman

rosscatman Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Couldnt agree more.But if I had to choose between the 2 I would pick the Stones.You gotta give them credit for staying together for so long.I think there best Album or cd was Some Girls.

10. baitchunker

baitchunker New Member

State:
    alabama
    i dunno about over-rated. i think in the beginning of that fresh rock-n-roll era they were both 1st class and wild. by todays standard they really wouldnt stand up so well. i like the stones energy (dont like the front man though). but i like the beatles ability to question everything. i guess it just depends on if you wanna question authority, or question existence.
    what about AC/DC those guys have been true to form and rockin quite a while to.

11. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    I would say Beatles.

12. gardengrz

gardengrz New Member

State:
    wakeman,ohio
    the stones all the way,especially theyr early stuff:cool2: theyve always made the beatles sound like a bunch of sissys:cool2: my senior year in high school (73) i wore out 3 "get your ya yas out" 8 track tapes:big_smile: midnight rambler was always the last song i listened to before goin into class:lol:

13. daddio

daddio New Member

State:
    kansas
    Beatles and any song on the white album did I say album? I meant cd lol

14. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    The Beatles had alot of hits and hysteria. They wrote some good music, But have you ever listened to their "non hit/non-popular" stuff ?.. Most of it is Horrible. I've heard mediocre garage bands with better songs...

15. billbobagns

billbobagns New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Beatles "HANDS DOWN".

-Beatles-
    1) Changed Music as we know it, not once but several times. When they'd release an album, all the music people in the US would gather in record executives offices and listen to each track, over and over again trying to figure how they made those sounds.

2) First back masking ever. "Rain"
    3) First Guitar feed back ever. "I feel fine"
    4) First concept album ever "Sgt Pepper"
    5) First lyrics printed on an album package "Sgt Pepper"
    6) Only band in history to have 6 songs in the US top 10 at one time including #1,2,3 and 4.
    7) Wrote the first song ever recorded by the Stones.
    8) Beatle mania and Beatle hair cuts.
    9) Cartoon TV show, very popular
    10) best party dance tune ever, "She was just 17"

On the other hands;

Stones;

1) needed Beatles help to ever get noticed.
    2) multiple accusations of plagiarism
    3) great garage band
    4) well mummified
    5) greatest guitar lick ever (Honky Tonk Women) is actually attributed to Ry Cooder.
    6) second best guitar lick (Satisfaction) is attributed to Brian Jones who died in 1969.
    6) Many music experts beleive Mick buys most songs and pays writers to endorse his versions.
    7) Her Satanic Magisty's Request, music and cover art, were obvious rip-offs of Pepper.

In summery, Beatles were musicians. Stones were bad-boy garage band.

Bill Johnson

16. jerseycat9

jerseycat9 New Member

State:
    Oakwood Georgia
    The stones get my vote

17. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Not a "fan" of either one, but I'm gonna say Rolling Stones because I do like Sympathy For The Devil, and Paint It Black. I'm almost never in the mood for the Beatles, but I do give them props for their ability to play a full spectrum of music styles, and pull it off. From bubblegum, to acid rock, to "metal". The Beatles are also Ozzy's main influence, so props for that.

18. vfourmax

vfourmax New Member

State:
    Va
    I would have to lean towards the Stones as I like a lot of the music that they came out with during the Vietnam era! I think that both bands made major contributions to influencing the music world but in their own ways and own times. The Beatles in the early 60's influence was vast where the Stones late 60's EARLY 70's was where their impact and influence was felt. There are a lot of bands and musicians from the later 60's and through the 70's that not only have had a major impact but continue to rock and perform almost 40 years later very different from the one hit wonders of the last 15 or 20 years. I think part of that may have to do with in the earlier years bands started playing because it something they enjoyed and had a passion for, the quality of their work reflects that! They wanted to be a rock-n-roll star and unlike today the money was just a bonus, not the driving force! Seems a lot of things are that way where passion and pride seem to sort of promote quality and very little of that exist in anything in todays world!

19. Wil

Wil New Member

State:
    Minden Nebraska
    i like the beatles more

20. r_p_narramore

r_p_narramore New Member

State:
    East KY
    I have to say the Stones.