Beat my PB Twice last night on the Great Miami River

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by rosscatman, Aug 26, 2007.

1. rosscatman

rosscatman Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Guys I just back from a great night of fishing on the Great Miami.My personal best Flat was only 14 pounds until last night when around 1 am I landed a 16 pounder I know no big deal but around 4:30 this morning I caught a 24 pounder.The 16 pounder was caught on cut shad and the 24 pounder was caught on 2 Three inch goldfish.Even better I caught these fish less then 10 minutes from my house.I would have never caught these fish if it wasnt for what I learned here on the BOC because I would have never fished in the heavy structure I was fishing in for fear of snags.Ill post some pics tonight or tommorow morning as soon as I can get my Oldest son to transfer the pics from the digital to the Pc.

2. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    congrats on the nice fish. you are exactly right about structure...thats why i have over 2000 sinkers molded lol..anyways, nice job!!..rollo

3. Hoopie

Hoopie New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Congrats on the pb fish ,you have to start somewhere lol ,structure is also why I have about 300 pounds of lead waiting to be sinkers. The heavier the cover the better.

4. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Ed congrats on the double PB in one night. That is what I call catching. Thanks for sharing.:smile2:

5. x smokin joe

x smokin joe Well-Known Member

State:
    Monclova,
    Name:
    Joe
    Congrats on beating it twice in one night. Its a thrill to do it once but twice awesome. I know how I felt when I did it few weeks ago. You can't beat that heavy structure for getting bigger fish.

6. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Congratulations on 2 new PB's, sounds like you had a fun night of fishing.

7. iam2hi2flyinky

iam2hi2flyinky New Member

State:
    kentucky
    nice jog i love that river and i never got a flat over 8lbs out of it, but i know they are in there

8. chris45601

chris45601 New Member

State:
    ohio
    Congrats on the the personal best. Sounded like you had a great time

9. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    Congrats Ed. Some like some nice fish.

10. lebeaux

lebeaux New Member

State:
    ohio
    Nice job, Ed! Thanks for giving thanks to BOC members too:big_smile: There's a lot of sharp cat people giving advice on this site. Stuff that took some of us years to learn ourselves.... love this site!

11. prostreetS10

prostreetS10 New Member

State:
    ohio
    nice job man. they just keep getting bigger from there. gotta fish the structure. thats where the hogs lay hiding waiting for there dinner

12. rosscatman

rosscatman Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Thanks guys .Took a floating holiday from work tonight Im going after a 30 or 40 pounder tonight:wink: Wish me luck.

13. beetle

beetle New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Congratulations on the new PB Ed.

14. Abu65

Abu65 Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Nice job, I'm glad to hear you got on them. Those are some nice fish!

15. shovelheadslayer

shovelheadslayer New Member

State:
    Hamilton, Ohio
    Congrats on the pb Ed. So when fishing structure wat kind of rig do you set up. I was fishin a bunch of rocks with a huge pile of wood structure next to it on monday night a had a good run on every piece of bait I put out there but I only landed 1 10# shovel. Every other run was snagged right away. Is there anything i can do to get more fish to the bank or do I just got to lose a bunch more tackle and catch a few in between snags.

16. shovelheadslayer

shovelheadslayer New Member

State:
    Hamilton, Ohio
    Another question I have is about makin sinkers. What is the best style to use egg, pyramid, or somethin else. My buddy prostreetS10 has an egg sinker mold that he makes his sinkers with. Is there any way to make the lead stronger, it seems like store bought sinkers are a little harder then the ones we use. I don't know if that would make a difference in getting snagged or not, it seems like when the homemade ones get snagged up the rock or watever it is just burries itself into the sinker and makes it a lot harder to get out and sometimes it doesnt move freely on the line and it starts to fray. is there anything we can do to stop this.

17. dogcat

dogcat New Member

State:
    Dayton Area Ohio
    Nice job. Sure is fun hauling a hog from the river as oppposed to the pay lake pampered flatties isn't it?

18. rosscatman

rosscatman Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Nick I use egg sinkers right now Ive bought some Bulks of them on ebay.After I get low on them Im going to give No Roll sinkers a Try I know there are a few more experienced Flatheadhunters then me on here who say there better in rocks and wood structure.Hopefully Ill start getting less snags.Whats really improved my fishing lately is Ive been really scouting the river by me.I go back and forth to work along the great miami And ive been stopping in different spots along the river in the mornings and since its daylight and the river being so low the last couple of months I can see how the structure runs under the water in alot of places. Ive walk well over a mile a couple times and even found some places where I thought there was no access to the river where there looks like some good areas to fish.