Bear

Discussion in 'Big Game Hunting' started by jpn, Nov 16, 2007.

1. jpn

jpn New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    the other day i was given some bear meat. actually two very heavy shoulders. i put them in a cooler filled with ice. i really don't know how to process or cook it but at the nixon house if the good Lord sends it our way we cook it and enjoy it, so if you have any recipes or how to butcher it please let me know. thank you

2. Mark R.

Mark R. New Member

State:
    Rush Springs, OK
    My son cut the meat off the bones and cooked it like chopped brisket, good stuff.
    Be sure to cook it like pork.

3. Mark R.

Mark R. New Member

State:
    Rush Springs, OK
    BTW- there are some Alaskan forums that have great wild game recipes.

4. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    I believe like Mark!Handle it like,and cook it well like you would wild hog flesh.Bears and hogs can have the Trichinellaspira Spirasite Parasite that can cause Trichinosis.Also several other diseases that humans can get.Rare,but possible.Keep meat cool at ALL times!Like hogs,much has to do with what the Bear has been eating and if it is a tough old boar.Bears and hogs will feed on rotted carcases and certain plants. You can never forget the taste if you are unfortunate enough to run in to this.First,I would just cook a small thin piece to see what I thought of the taste and toughness.Old bear and Hog hunters would built a small fire at the kill and throw a small piece of meat & fat on the fire to see if it was worth carrying out of the woods.I have eat Bear but never killed a Bear.My opportunities always had cubs.I was taught that if you had to kill a bear even with large cubs,you also kill the cubs as they will not survive as many weaned cubs do not.(Many old folks said that it use to be popular to capture,tame,neuter and raise them to butcher like a hog.Hunting laws stopped this).Tough meat of any kind cut in 1/4 inch (MAX!)thick slices ACROSS the grain can be fried with or without flour.It can also be cooked most any way and be tender.Boar & Bear strong,Deer in the rut neck meat and any strong meat be it fish,fowl,game or domestic can be cut up thin and soaked in vinegar (1 cup to a gallon of water) and then rinsed and soaked in water with Baking Soda (Stir it into a gallon of water until it will no longer dissolve).Any extra or undissolved Baking soda won't hurt anything and will rinse off in the final rinse.The meat needs to be stirred or shook occasionally in a wide mouth gallon jar to get the solutions between the meat to do the best job of removing the strong taste.Now this does work on ALL of the taste in the meat.Final soaking should be in plain water.I like a wide mouth gallon jar for doing this as I have to keep it refrigerated while soaking in South Georgia.The meat MUST be kept cool.I cool all of my water with ice cubes and remove them before I soak the meat.The thinner the meat,the less the soaking.The thicker the meat,the longer the soaking.The more often it is stirred or shook,the less time it takes.My all game stew recipe that I like for Squirrel to Bear is= I dredge my cut up meat in flour,browned it and set the meat aside in a stew pot.I then browned flour in the pan and made a brown gravy which I poured into the stew pot with the meat.I cook the meat until it starts to tender and then add what ever else I wish to add to my stew just like a common beef stew.If yo have to soak the flavor out,Beef bouillon cubes will add flavor to the stew.I add a tea-tablespoon full of Worcestershire sauce as a flavor enhancer to all of my soups and stews.I just cook it in the gravy without vegetables to eat on Grits,Rice,Biscuits,Corn bread,mashed Potatoes,etc.Heck,it is even good on newspaper!I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee

5. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Yall ,dont get me wrong here ,But I will never shoot or eat a bear ,My thoughts on this are simple . I dont eat carnivores. that dont pertain to fish ,only mammals. besides a skinned bear looks like a person ,in a way .

6. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Richard, who can get you wrong when what you said you meant. I agree with what you said.

But I'll tell ya what Richard, I am glad somebody ain't trying to eat me to. I don't think I can outrun a bear either. If I meet a bear I ain't gonna try to shake his hand.

7. peewee williams

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    You are missing out on a lot of good eating.A Hog or a Bear will eat anything the other will.Both mainly feed on vegetation.I know that Panther or Cougar,Bobcat and Fox are great eating.Once you have eaten Chicken,Pork or a Muscovy Duck,everything else is uphill.I have never killed a Bear or panther.I have eat Grizzly,Moose,Walrus and Caribou from Alaska,Cougar,Elk,Bison,Antelope from out west and Black Bear from SC.,LA.and TN..I have tried about every critter that we could get our hands on when I was a boy.I also ate some pretty awesome things while in the service. I would never say "never".I have seen a few nevers lie about never in my lifetime.Hogs,Bears,Cougars and Humans readily prey on each other when the opportunity arises and each will readily eat the other three.Each one has also been known to willingly and deliberty practice cannibalism.Hmmmm!Ain't this a cheerful thought?Perhaps we can get some more nightmares and dreams posted because of it.I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee

8. Mike81

Mike81 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    I lived in Alaska for 10 years and killed and ate several black bears. The interior bears that don't eat alot of salmon and feed mostly on vegitation and berries are delicious. The meat is not gamey at all and I treat it just like pork or wild hog when I cook it. I once watched a bear eat berries for a week on a hillside a mile away during moose season. Finally decided to take him and it was the best tasting meat I have ever had....

9. Mike81

Mike81 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    Actually here is a pic of that tasty critter...:wink:

Attached Files:

10. Ketch

Ketch New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    John, no offense, but I think you'd be too chewy for my liking and perhaps a little gamey. lol

11. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I PROMISED MR.POSBEETLE THAT I WOULD PUT MY S/A GUNS UP BUT KETCH YOU ARE MAKING IT VERY HARD NOT TO ADD TO THAT ONE:wink:
    JOHN I AM REALY TRYING AND I WANT YOU TO KNOW IT HURTS:haha::0a19::go:

12. Blue Duck

Blue Duck New Member

State:
    Idaho
    If you eat pork your eating the bears cousin. If you don't think a pig will eat meat, don't fall down in a pig pen.

13. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Whatever the He$$ kudos mean. You are right on. It was the way we used to dispose of cow carcasses. It was the reason my Dad always had us carry a hammer on our belt when we walked the sows. I wouldn't eat a Bear though 'cause he is so cute. An old hog is just an old hog. I make sure they get corn before they are killed and not babies.

14. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Come after me Kenny. The truce is over. I will still answer your questions and won't even charge you. I need the excitement. John.

15. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I figured as much....just aint right any other way

16. peewee williams

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Not us!We flushed them out before killing and I am not talking about the Flushing them to bring them into estrus.Guts full of food made for a lot of extra work cleaning the maw for eating & the guts for chitterlings and sausage casings.I am working up the urge for a good bait of "Hog Maw" as we call the hogs stomach down here.I like it boiled with onion,garlic,salt,Black pepper and Cayenne pepper.I also like it battered and fried like Beef Tripe after it has boiled tender.Mike.As for all Alaskan and Canadian East Coast Black Bears.I have heard that they can get pretty rank and unfit to eat when scavenging carrion along the coast.A dead Whale can make for a lot of dinners over a long period with few bears and the right temperature.Have you ever run into this?I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee

17. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Bear meat is pretty good. I've ate steaks and roast but it makes the best breakfast sausage you will ever eat. Save some of the fat to cure any cast iron skillets you have.

18. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i have eaten black bear and it was awesome. i have never killed one though. in the next couple of years i plan to go to new mexico to get one, and maybe an elk.
    i have eaten hogs that were older boars that were fine after soaked in some vinegar and water. some couldn't be helped. the dogs at em just fine though. as loing as i have my clean up crew i am good to go on the experimenting. we have caught pretty good sized boars in east texas that had been castrated and released at some point in their life. tasted great! maybe some of these guys with bear hounds need to catch some bears and cut em and let em go... just don't ask me for help!:smile2:

19. peewee williams

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Fried Catfish and Grits for breakfast.Fried chicken for lunch or dinner as we call it. I had Hog Maw and Potato Salad for supper.I sure wish I could handle a regular sized meal.I could have pigged out on this one.I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee

20. GETHOOKED

GETHOOKED New Member

State:
    Arizona, Scott
    Crock pot, chicken stock, GARLIC, onions, red taders, and let it slow cook. Simple as that! Enjoy!!:wink: