Bear Skull

Discussion in 'Big Game Hunting' started by Shenandoah, Aug 18, 2008.

1. Shenandoah

Shenandoah New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I'm trying to clean a skull from a bear and I'm having trouble I've used peroxide and it still has a brownish tinge and I'm not sure what else to try I'm not using bleach I don't want to damage the skull and peroxide has always worked on smaller skulls any suggestions or advice would be great.

2. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    There is a formula that taxidermists use to bleach skulls,I dont know it right offhand ,But if you give either cats4uandme or carolinacats a PM they should be able to help.

3. wayne1967

wayne1967 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I've soaked skulls in bleach water and let them dry to finish cleaning them. There' got to be a better way though.

4. Mike81

Mike81 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    I believe it's called calcium or magnesium carbonate...you can get it from any taxidermy supply. It's really whitens them up, you mix it up in a paste and paint on. Some of the experts can give better details I'm sure. I have a javelina skull in the freezer i need to do... good luck!

5. uttatoo

uttatoo New Member

State:
    greatbend kansas
    my dad used to put them on ant hills in cali you know the big red ones that have the big mounds they clean them and leave them nice and white

6. Shenandoah

Shenandoah New Member

State:
    Virginia
    bleach will break down the bone and make it brittle thats why I'm not using that but it will make a skull white

7. daddio

daddio New Member

State:
    kansas
    what about hanging it in a tree and let the sun and flies have their way with it

8. Shenandoah

Shenandoah New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I've done boiled it and cleaned it of all meat. Thats the quickest way to clean it. If I had hung it in a tree I would have probably lost teeth and small bones which I want to keep. Right now I have a clean skull that is dingy in color

9. Whistling Dixie

Whistling Dixie New Member

State:
    Texas
    Jason,
    I have a friend who uses a pool chemical called soft swim and it's available at swimming pool supply houses. I haven't personally used it but he swears by it. It's my understanding that it contains a high level of hydrogen peroxide. Van Dykes also has a product called basic white here is a link to their website. http://www.vandykestaxidermy.com/product/01319059/
    I personnaly use hydrogen peroxide that you buy in your local drug store however it take a long time for it to work propely since the concentration is so low, around 3%. One note about the two products listed above, IT CAN BURN YOU if you get it on you so proper personal protection should be worn. Also anything you get it on will be white, I bet my chocolate lab would look funny if she got into it.:0a26:

10. Blue Duck

Blue Duck New Member

State:
    Idaho
    I have several Bear Skulls that have been done by a taxidermist. They really look nice. Clean and white with just a little shine to them. He won't tell me how he does them tho. I trade him the hide and he does the skull for me for free.