Bear Hunting

Discussion in 'Big Game Hunting' started by bownero, Mar 9, 2008.

1. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    How many of you hunters in the BOC have shot a BEAR! I have shot 2 with my bow and arrow. My first weighed 300lbs and squared 6ft. My second bear tipped the scales at 340lbs. and squared 6' 4". Would like some feedback on bear hunting. HOW BIG. HOW CLOSE was the shot. Any of the bears climb the tree you were sitting in? I had this experience last year. I was watching a sow and her 3 cubs. The sow climbed my tree for a closer look. She was about 2ft away from my face. OH BOY! I turned around just a little and she climbed back down. WHEW! Lets hear some feedback about your Bear experiences!!:big_smile:

THANKS..

MARK..

2. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    Sorry. Should of added this in my last post. Would like too know. Where was the bear shot? Any color phase bears? What weapon was used?

Thanks..

Mark..

3. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    Heres the one I harvested in 95 with my bow Mark.
    Will add some more tomorrow about the hunt.

Attached Files:

4. Blue Duck

Blue Duck New Member

State:
    Idaho
    I have killed several Black Bears. All taken close to home, here in north Idaho. Took one with a bow and several with my 7mm Mag.

5. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    Hey Mike! You must have alot of bears in northern Idaho. Were any of the bears color phased?

Mark..

6. Blue Duck

Blue Duck New Member

State:
    Idaho
    Mark, it just so happens all the bears I have shot were black. I have seen them in any color from blond to deep mahogany (reddish). Just worked out that way. Id like to get a blond one someday, but will just have to see how that works out. North Idaho does have a good population of black bears.

7. Mike81

Mike81 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    I really lived for bear hunting when I lived in Alaska. I shot 6 and probably passed up 20. I also really enjoy eating the meat. I've shot 2 with a bow, 2 with a .44 Mag pistol and 2 with a .300Win Mag rifle.

The very first bear I ever shot was with a Ruger Super Blackhawk, open sights at about 25 yds. I was in a ground blind, when I shot it turned and ran straight at my blind...when it was about 5 feet away to the side it fell down and started it's death moan for a good 30 seconds. Raised the hair on my neck, but I was hooked after that!

8. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    I never bear hunted before. There is a healthy population in northwest Ark. i just never hunted for them.Seen alot of sign turkey an deer huntin.

9. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    Thanks guys for your posts. I appreciate it. For those who have never hunted bear, you should definently try it! There is nothing like seeing your first bear in the wild up close and personal. Sends a chill up the spine for sure. Someday I will go back and harvest another bear because I just plain love it. Just watching bears in the wild is quite entertaining to say the least. Last fall I watched a sow and her 3 cubs for 7 hours on stand. This was the best outdoor experience I have ever seen. Simply amazing!!

Thanks.
    Mark..

10. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    Hey Mike. I'm glad your still here to talk about your hunting experience. That's a little to close for comfort! In a situation like this there is no time to react I'm sure. I'm glad the outcome was in your favor most definently. Hunting bears is such a rush compaired to other animals I've havested. But it's all good. We are the world's best conservationists. No matter what animal, what weapon we use, we harvest and utilize the animal. As long we don't waste what we kill, that's what makes a hunter or fisherman.:wink:

Mark..

11. Mike81

Mike81 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    Yeh, not much time to react in that situation, I don't think he ever saw me, he just happened to run that way, I think he was actually going to run up a trail that went by to the right but he didn't make it. :wink:

12. curdog

curdog New Member

State:
    Sheridan, Arkansas
    Man that would be to close for me.

13. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    Hey Richard. That situation with the sow 2' away from my face, definently tested my nerves. Just glad she was curious and came to investigate me a little closer. When the guide pick me up that night, the sow stayed about 20yds. behind us on our way back to the boat. Just like a dog would follow his master. When we aboarded the boat she left and went back to her cubs. She was a beautiful blonde bear and her 3 cubs were blonde color phase too. Awesome!!!

Thanks.
    Mark..

14. zeboman

zeboman New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    Here is a photo I took a few years ago at camp,she had two cubs but I can`t locate the pics.I hope I did the photo right .

Attached Files:

15. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    Thanks for the pic. Nice looking bear.