Beans in my Ears..and other such grossities

Discussion in 'The BOC's Animal House' started by anchorpuller, Apr 30, 2009.

1. anchorpuller

anchorpuller New Member

State:
    North Caro
    Hey Doc, mind if I sit over here on the plastic coated sofa and take a load off?
    Got something on my mind and I'm hoping you can help.

The hoggobbler has a problem and it's driving the poor girl nuts. She has this NASTY black stinky chit in her ears. It must be itching bad. She is rubbing her ears with her paws, with the carpet and whining a lot.

I got some peroxide and mixed it 1/1 with some warm water. Then took her outside and irrigated and massaged her ears with it. After that I took a 1/1 vinegar and warm water solution and irrigated them again.

She didn't much care for the treatment, but allowed it without fighting me. It seemed to help but she was still itching and I could see that there was still some of that black stinky stuff down in her ears. So, I did it again a couple days later.

That was three days ago. She seems to get a little better and then it comes back. What can I do short of spending my kids college tuition to get the local vet to take care of it?

2. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Laura:

You describe a condition that has all the earmarks (no pun intended) of a parasite problem. An external parasite that resembles a miniature crab or small (teenie-tiny) tick. They have the fancy name of Otodectes Cynotis or more simply ear mites. Now there could be other problems and because I don't want to get sued again in my lifetime I would caution you to see somebody if what I say doesn't make sense to you.

They make a dog itch like crazy, rub their ears, paw at their head, tip their head from side to side, want their ears rubbed. These mites feed on ear wax. They lay eggs which hatch into little worms (larva) which feed on ear wax and so the world continues to turn in their ears. The ear responds by producing more wax, a dark stinky wax. Which of course makes the ear mite happy 'cause it has more ear wax to eat. During this process an infection can occur which has to be taken care of to.

These mites feed on the wax. They do not suck blood so ya can't kill 'em with anything systemic. There are ointments and drops available to of course kill these critters, but they are pricey and ya gotta see a Vet to get 'em and of course because he likes to eat and pay his bills and take care of his girlfriend well he will charge ya an arm and leg.

These mites breath air through tiny little openings in their body. Mineral oil plugs 'em up and they suffocate. The mineral oil also makes the ear feel better. Anything you could put in your kids ears can be used to clean these ears up and make them feel better. Clean them well each time you medicate. Q-tips and/or Kleenex to wipe out the ear.

If you want to be positive about this. Take a Q-tip moistened with mineral oil. Dig some of the wax out and put it on a slide that has had added to it a drop of mineral oil. Smear that around and take it to your work and "scope" it out under low power. You will see the little mothers and their eggs.

It is transmitted easily from dog to dog. Cats got theirs too. Some dogs have them and you would never know because they don't become allergic to them and they show no signs.

Good luck Kid. let me know how ya do.

John.

3. anchorpuller

anchorpuller New Member

State:
    North Caro
    It makes sense to me, Doc. I gotta birth babies all weekend, but come Monday I think I'll use that old cathartic (mineral oil) on the gobblers ears.

Checking a slide sounds cool too. You know Tommy got a decent scope for Christmas. We can make "The dogs got crabs" into a family project! :smile2:

Thanks a bunch....