beaning

Discussion in 'LOCAL KANSAS TALK' started by cat lineman, Jul 19, 2009.

1. cat lineman

cat lineman New Member

State:
    kansas
    so what is the secret to catch fish in an area of a lake where they bean? we wen't to perry sat and everyone was catching fish but us any possible answers to this we tried differentr kinds of dip bait and different depth any ideas?and we were throwing beans that had soaked for a week:confused2:

2. Mr. Foster

Mr. Foster New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Ive never heard of beaning, could you please elaberate? Jus curious.

3. cat lineman

cat lineman New Member

State:
    kansas
    it's pretty much chumming you soak beans for a wk and a bunch of boats throw out beans and the fish come in they do it at the same area of the lake pretty much daily so the fish hang around there

4. Swampfox.

Swampfox. New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    you right Troy, dont give um a buffet. just enough to perk the bite.

5. delbert bumbleshoot

delbert bumbleshoot New Member

State:
    Overland Park,Kansas
    I throw beans any time I'm not in the river. Those boys at Perry use punch bait like Danny Kings or even make their own dough bait with beans. I don't like to use any kind of prepared bait just turkey liver. 4 or 5 years ago before I started going to Pleasonton I used to chum at Perry and Clinton but they mostly catch large numbers of 1-2 pounders my average fish is 3-5 pounds. Maybe once or twice per trip they get a 5-6 pounder...when I get a big one it's 10-15 pounds. But the fishing at Pleasonton hasn't been as good this year and my wife is still out of work. So I've been thinking about going to Clinton or Perry or Hillsdale. I will stay away from Perry cuz of the Zebra Mussells and it's the farthest of the 3 for me. A few things to remember: chumming ain't magic if you put the chum where there aren't any fish you ain't gonna catch any.They won't come from as far away as you think. Use your electronics + a lake map to find a good spot: a hump or underwater island, a drop off, a creek channel bend,an underwater brush pile.If you know a place you have caught fish at before chum will get you a lot more fish. drop chum at 3 or 4 spots and come back to each one. don't stay too long if the fish aren't there in 30 minutes they aren't gonna be. Once you find a good spot and you are fishing vertically you can keep feeding them a little bit at a time. get a stadium cup and don't fill it more than 1/4 full.spread the chum like you are sowing grass seed. don't throw too much at a time.If you are fishing vertically don't use too heavy of tackle. A very sensitive rod tip is a definite must if you were using regular catfish tackle you might have been getting bites and not even know it. I would use a long 8' or longer crappie or salmon rod with a spinning reel and 10 lb test.use a small treble hook an 8 or 10 and a small split shot or even no weight at all if you can get away with it. You won't get slamming clicker screaming bites doing this.A lot of guides that do this { clyde holscher,Catdaddy or Rader Lodge} use fly rods with small spinning reels on them cuz they're cheap.If you've got a 9-12 foot crappie rod they will work great for this. if not you can buy one at bass pro for about 30$ bucks.I would like to go and try Hillsdale or Clinton and I have a bassboat and 10 buckets of beans in my backyard right now.Send me a pm if you're interested Hope this helps. I have been fishing the river a lot this year and not as much for channel cats... maybe that should change a little.I'm off every Sat, sunday and monday.monday is not near as crowded but since my dad died I can't get anyone to go with me on Mondays.

6. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    Now this is a new term to me along with the idea of keeping the fish around. Thanks for the information. Might just have to give this one a try.

7. delbert bumbleshoot

State:
    Overland Park,Kansas
    California considers it pollution and Minnesota doesn't allow it...according to In Fisherman it's legal everywhere else. If you got a place with a good channel cat population it will help you catch a lot more fish.From north of Topeka Kansas south to Texas a heck of a lot of channel cats are caught chumming this time of year.I can't see any reason you couldn't try it in Ohio lakes or ponds.:big_smile:

8. Jollymon

Jollymon Well-Known Member

State:
    Wilm .N.C
    OK I HAVE A QUESTION FOR U GUYS, what kind of beans r u using an how do u prepare them ,this is a new one on me ,but im trying to learn ,thanks for the info

9. River Outlaw

River Outlaw New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas,
    i use Busch's baked beans, original works best for me. jelly beans aint to bad either :roll_eyes::wink::smile2:

seriously though, most people use soy beans

10. n2fishn

n2fishn New Member

State:
    Topeka,Kan
    Dickie..around here we take anykind of grain...milo/corn/soybeans and fill about 1/3 to 1/2 full in a 5 gallon bucket then fill it with water.Let it set for about a week or two and go chum a hole where cats hang out.It will draw them in.

11. CBurns87

CBurns87 New Member

State:
    Topeka Kansas
    So do you use the busch's baked beans for the fish and the jelly beans for you?? I mean how can you sit there throwing out jelly beans to fish, and not eat them yourself!! :big_smile::tounge_out:

12. kmcalester

kmcalester New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    I think some blackeye pea's and cornbread sounds good right now.

13. delbert bumbleshoot

State:
    Overland Park,Kansas
    Corn works ok if you wanna make moonshine or catch carp. Whole milo is easy to get at any feed store and it is fairly cheap but one bag will only make about 2 1/2 buckets. Milo doesn't expand like the beans will so you can fill the bucket up 3/4 full of milo and fill water to the top.It will soak up the water so check it after a few days and refill the water to the top if necessary. Milo doesn't smell near as bad but takes longer to cook off a week at least, so if you have a weak stomach you can use it.When you are looking for beans you can use soybean seed it's much more expensive but much easier to find. If you can find a elevator that has leftover seed from last year it will be much cheaper.if you're in farm country you could use bin run soybeans and they will cost about a 1/3 as much as seed but it's not bagged.Be careful not to overfill the buckets with soybeans as they will expand blast off the lid and make your yard smell like a feedlot.I hope this helps.

14. cat lineman

cat lineman New Member

State:
    kansas
    I pm ya let me know if you don't get it

15. Jollymon

Jollymon Well-Known Member

State:
    Wilm .N.C
    got it now, chum i understand just wondering what kind of beans .i can get soybeans ez around here thanks for the info

16. chrispbrown27

chrispbrown27 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I added some cooking oil to mine too. Mine was straight out of the fish fryer, but that's not necessary. The idea is that the oil will cause a slick and spread the scent out a bit further. Also, adding some garlic or any other strong smelling spice can't hurt. Let it soak for a week or two and you'll be ready.
    Along the same lines, I was told by an old man that he used dip bait as a chum. He took a jar or two of sonny's or whatever divide them in half and fill it the rest of the way with cooking oil. After he mixed it up real well (using flour and cooking oil to thicken or thin it as needed) he would put it in some panty hose and hang it so that it is just out of the water in a creek off of the main river. He said it really pulled em in. He would set one up a day or two before he put in his trotlines.
    Chris

17. cat lineman

cat lineman New Member

State:
    kansas
    Eric contact me about this weekend

18. kmcalester

kmcalester New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    I might to say I have never heard of the the cooking oil, but yet it does sound interesting.

19. rush_60

rush_60 New Member

State:
    Troy, KS
    We just keep several 55 gallon barrels around filled with our grain that has spilled on the ground and got wet. We dont put a top on them and the rain fills them up. They keep, and stink for years, but as long as you dont stir them up, the smell is very slight in the immediate area. If anyone needs some let me know, I'll hook you up.

20. Gamblen

Gamblen New Member

State:
    Kansas City, KS
    Used the attached picture from the bank some. Works a little bit I think.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 10, 2009