Bean beetles!!!

Discussion in 'Garden Tips And Talk' started by boswifedeb, Jul 1, 2009.

1. boswifedeb

boswifedeb USCA Jailhouse Lawyer

State:
    Tennessee
    Name:
    Debbie
    Do y'all have problems with the bean beetles? Just went out and dusted tonight for the little boogers with some Sevin dust. Any other solutions?
    Thanks!

2. Poppa

Poppa New Member

State:
    Pinson, Al
    I have had trouble with Japanees beetles and bean beetles in the past.
    I have a 10 gallon sprayer that runs off 12v dc and I would spray with
    liquid sevin and miracle grow mixed together. They mix with water and
    each other well. That way you poison and fertilize at the same time.

3. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Never heard of a bean beetle ,Deb. I have beans and okra that look like ya blasted em with a scattergun,I just thought it was hoppers.

4. boswifedeb

State:
    Tennessee
    Name:
    Debbie
    Thanks for the idea Poppa. I might try that. We've been using the new Miracle Grow sprayer thingy, but I think we might be able to work that in.
    We've got lots of grass hoppers, too. Maybe when they get bigger I'll send the kids out to catch me some bait!:wink:

5. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Deb, I buy that bug killer that comes in quarts at Walmart,Lowes ,etc. it sayes it kills 120 types of bugs and a quart will make up about 30 gallon of spray,,, it will knock their little dingys in the dirt. I need to hit my cabbage again.

That horse manure and sawdust seems to be a haven for bugs,,, they love it,,, it is like the ground is alive,,,lol,,lol,

6. boswifedeb

State:
    Tennessee
    Name:
    Debbie
    Well, the Sevin dust caught up with them! The beans are blooming like crazy and look terrific!

7. recordbreakin1

recordbreakin1 New Member

State:
    texas
    I have never heard of them.

8. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    I assume you are referring to Japanese Beetles, as the love beans & zinnias. Sevin works well on them. They always show up about the end of June, here, and stay around for a month or so. That's when they lay their eggs for next years infestation. You can try to get a start by using a grub killer in the soil, next spring. It will help a lot, but never completely, as they travel as much as 5 miles.

9. boswifedeb

State:
    Tennessee
    Name:
    Debbie
    Well, the beetles are losing the battle. I've been harvesting a LOT of beans for the freezer!!