Beagles

Discussion in 'Hunting Dogs Talk' started by TA2D, Apr 28, 2006.

1. TA2D

TA2D New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Anyone run beagles? I have one and he is more of a lap dog than a hunter, that is until he gets around my parents beagle and they will be gone for hours if not days trailing rabbits. Any tips on hounds would be greatly appreciated. Oh yeah he is one hell of a fishing buddy.

Aaron

TA2D

2. claycntyjoe

claycntyjoe New Member

State:
    Northern Kentucky
    Enjoy every second. Beagles are one of the best companion dogs IMO.

Are you going to use it for rabbit hunting.

3. Lngbo

Lngbo New Member

State:
    Marion Ark
    I grew up hunting with Beagles, it is one of the best all around dogs for a young person esp. They are great companions as are most dogs. They can go from being the pet to being the hunter at the drop of a hat. Some will jump and run the rabbit others will just run the rabbit after it is jumped.
    I have had several different types of dogs in my life, but fondest memories are of the Beagles.

4. TA2D

TA2D New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    I don't plan to hunt rabbits with him, I don't eat them. But I do get a kick out of watching them run rabbits and listening to them bawl. He is more a fishing buddy and a sturdy dog for the boys to play with.

Aaron

TA2D

5. ladyfish50

ladyfish50 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    We had beagles about 20 yrs ago (has it really been that long?). They are such cool dogs. So much personality. We even raised a litter of pups; ended up keeping one of the females & the mom. We had to move out of state & couldn't take them. Sure hated to have to let them go. We still talk about Dolly & Belle.

6. zappaf19

zappaf19 New Member

State:
    Monticello,IN
    I have had beagles for years as pets. Once they get there nose down there off to the races! I have a blind Beagle (Skeeter) who gets his nose down and off he goes. (runs into trees now and then) It's just in them.
    I do wish I could take mine fishing but after he walked into the pool the wife says no way!
    Bill

7. YeeHaw

YeeHaw New Member

State:
    Quincy Illinois
    I have an old beagle that we have ran since he was a puppy. He is now about 6 or 7 years old, his skills are a little rusty, and his belly is getting big, but still does pretty well. He dosn't hunt as much as he used to, but we take him with our nebiours dogs, and our bluetick.

8. I_try

I_try New Member

State:
    Central Arkansas
    pic of my beagle mix mutt, loves squirrels and dont know if beagles tree or not but he may just like chasing them

Attached Files:

9. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    Beagles Are Great, I've Trained A Few To Sniff Termites. I Like Them For Hunting Too, The Problem Here In FL Is That The Brush Is Very Thick & Or The Water Is Very Deep, It's Hard For Them To Trudge Thru It.

As far As Your Dog going Into Action Around Your Folks Dog, It's Like This, Dogs Are like People, Some Are Leaders & Some Are Followers.
    It Doesn't Matter Though They Are Great Dogs Around People & They Are Very Easy To Train.:big_smile: , Elliot

10. TA2D

TA2D New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    I wouldn't trade the little rascal for anything. He is of the 15 inch variety and my parents have 13 incher. The only thing wrong with my dog, if you want to call it a bad thing is that he has a huge overbite, looks kind of like Goofy, it does make him look more like a trail hound than a beagle. But he is my buddy and will be for a long while.

Aaron

TA2D

11. ladyfish50

ladyfish50 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Those are adorable...there's just something about a beagle! They always just look like fun!!

12. barrenriver katman

barrenriver katman New Member

State:
    ky
    beagles and rabbit hunting i enjoy it would not trade my beagle for nothing

13. TonyJr

TonyJr New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    My rabbit dogs (beagles) are like my second kids!!

14. Bigdan99

Bigdan99 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    yeah, the three things I love the most is my beagles, boy, and my wife.

15. canepole

canepole New Member

State:
    Woodlawn Tennessee
    I got a tri color and a lemon, They are alot of fun, The tri color will get in the thick stuff and find the rabbit, But the lemon has the best nose, When the tri color loses the rabbit the lemon will pick him back up. I guess you would call the tri /C the jump dog and the lemon the follower.

16. Bayoubear

Bayoubear New Member

State:
    near that hellhole dallas
    short leg beagles IMHO make the best deer dogs there are. ya just have to teach them to follow whitetails and not cottontails. hahaha far slower than walker dogs or black and tans. ive watched deer stop to browse while the beagles were on their trail. the deer dont run, they simply walk. the deer dont get freaked out on an adrenaline rush which can give an off flavor to the meat. i gave up running dogs long ago but if i did again, would be behind short legs or nothing.

17. Bubbafish

Bubbafish New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    i have beagle and i am looking to start hunting rabbits with her what do i need to do to train her or is it just go out and see if she tracks'em. any advise would bhe great never have rabbit hunted before but i hate to she her just become a house dog ccause shes got so much life and energy about her.

18. south_va_fisherman

south_va_fisherman New Member

State:
    Muddy Cross, Virginia
    hey kyle, if the dog is older than 1 year its too late to start her. but there are many books you can buy on how to train her.

19. Bubbafish

Bubbafish New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    shes like 11 months i think hopefully i can get her out and trained but if its to late shell become my boat dog when i get a boat.

20. TonyJr

TonyJr New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    Don't take this the wrong way but that's wrong! Some dogs don't start until they're around a year to year in a half of age!! A DOG IS NEVER TO OLD TO DO WHAT COMES NATURAL!!! I train/start all my dogs! I've never bought one already started! I have one currently that's over a year (15 months) and she just started last week!!