Beagle Pup

Discussion in 'Hunting Dogs Talk' started by opposum, Jul 19, 2009.

1. opposum

opposum Active Member

State:
    Missouri
    I just bought a Beagle pup the other day. Little feller is 9 weeks old. I was wanting to train him in obedience and start on the rabbits as soon as possible. I've been having about 4 rabbits in the yard early and late in the day. I've taken him out for early and late walks the past couple of days trying to get him a whiff of rabbit. On three occasions I took him over to where a rabbit had been sitting and the little guy looked as if he smelled it. I'm hoping he won't be too hard to start. I'm thinking that if I do this every day and if he's got it in him then he should pick up on it after a month or two. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

2. glenmorebuckman

glenmorebuckman New Member

State:
    Caneyville, Ken
    I've not trained to many beagles but I have one now that is a year old and he is the best I've ever had. I always got 'em running with an older dog, but this one I trained on my own. The way I did it was I'd carry him around my field in the morning and the evenings looking for rabbit's sitting, then when I'd spot one I'd take off running after it until it ran making sure he was looking in the same direction as the rabbit. When the rabbit would take off I'd set him down and he'd take off after it. I did this for a couple of weeks and pretty soon he'd jump out of my arms trying to get after them. I then started taking him into thicker stuff until he finally jumped one on his own and from that moment on his natural instinct took over. Now all I have to do is say RABBIT and he starts hunting. The other day he was asleep on the porch and I hollered RABBIT and he jumped up and headed for the field! He once took off after a deer when he was starting out and I managed to chase him down and gave him a little discipline and now he doesn't think about even sniffing a track. Best of luck to you!

3. opposum

opposum Active Member

State:
    Missouri
    That is exactly what I'm trying to do with my dog. I've had him smelling the ground where a rabbit sat about every night. He even looked like he trailed it for 10 to 15 feet on a couple of occasions. So far the rabbits have been at the edge of the yard next to the thick brush. So I haven't had the opportunity to run at them. I do have two older dogs that are great hunters. The only bad thing is that I live next to a highway. So letting the older dogs out is not an option at the house. Right now he is only 10 weeks old. I just hope to have him running before season starts. So far he will come to me every time I call for him. Hopefully he keeps doing that.

4. opposum

opposum Active Member

State:
    Missouri
    I've ran my pup with the older dogs just two times this last week. Today he took off on a rabbit and opened up on his own. Music to my ears. I think he's going to do fine. :big_smile::cool2: