Beads ?

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by bluesbrother, Aug 13, 2006.

1. bluesbrother

bluesbrother New Member

State:
    texas
    wow i noticed the little red beads i put on between swivel and sinker are vanishing off my line .wonder whats happining to them... breaking?:eek:oooh:

2. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    When you get your rig snagged, most of the time it is your weight that has gotten snagged. When you put alot of pressure on the weight to pull it free the bead will shatter.

3. WHEELMOBILE07

WHEELMOBILE07 New Member

State:
    Martinsville, Virginia
    Maybe the kitties like the little bead better than your bait and the delicately bite the bead off. LOL, Just kidding bro, what the previous poster said is correct. Keep fishing hard.

Wheelmobile07

4. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    You might try a different brand of bead. I've noticed that some of the ones from craft shops are more brittle than others. If I break more than a few, I'll get rid of that pack and buy something different. I've only run across a couple of instances like that, though. As mentioned above, sometimes they just break from the strain put on them, but if it's happening very often, you need to narrow down the causes.

5. whiteriverbigcats

whiteriverbigcats New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I Agree with the other posters.. it is your sinker shattering your bead.. i have this happen alot cause i like to fish heavy cover for flats. But you can buy 100 beads or more for about 88cents at Wal-Mart in the craft section.. i Buy all types and sizes.. But their durability is about even....

6. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    1/4 inch of aquarium tubing on each side of the bead stops most problems for me.Sinkers are often made of alloys which are harder than pure lead and the hole can have sharp edges.Beads also can be hard and have sharp edges and cut your line at the swivel.When everything is the right sizes,I just used tubing and eliminated the beads.The longer the tubing,the more shock that it will absorb in a controlled fashion.I was surprised many times in the difference in the actual weight of the sinkers and what the sinker actually weighed when I started weighing some.It doesn't matter to me as long as I know what they weigh and what I pay for them.All that I have ever found wrong were short.Many of the latest short ones were bought from a nationally known outfit with a excellent reputation.I doubt if they even knew.peewee-williams

7. bluesbrother

bluesbrother New Member

State:
    texas
    thats it i did get snaged first time i noticced this.lol thanks for the info and tips

8. mobowhtr

mobowhtr Member

State:
    MO
    I always thought the reason for the bead was to protect the knot from being beat up by the lead, if I was putting on aquarium tube I wouldn't bother with the bead. Actually, the tubing sounds like a smarter product to me, with or without the bead.

9. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

10. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    I keep the steel beads cleaned out of the Walmart fishing section. Much much better.

11. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    I mostly used a bead for certain Salt Water rigs and spacing some large eyed hooks along with the tubing on a leader.I liked to rig two hooks into a large live bait.1 forward and 1 aft.The rear one can be hooked in the baits flesh or the right size broad rubber bands work well on some baits.I use the tubing to space the hooks to keep the bait stretched out as my front hook slides on my leader.If you let the bait get U shaped it will spin.Sometimes Saltwater fish bite better on the spinning bait,mostly when trolling.With the beads or tubing you are only limited by your imagination.In the 50's we wrapped and tied rubber bands to keep sinkers from cutting your line on a sliding rig.Many of the old fashion round sinkers had large holes for the large diameter lines that were often used.1/4 inch and larger holes were common as they were mostly made for nets.Many weights would slide down and jam a swivel if it did not go completely over it.It is a different ball game with terminal tackle now.I think much of the modern bead use is left over and passed down from the old days of sinkers with large holes.peewee-williams

12. powercat

powercat New Member

State:
    Olathe,Ks/Fish Gravois Mi
    I thought I forgot to put a bead on, mayby there is hope for me and I will be able to continue to fish.

13. buddah

buddah New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania Wi
    I really only use beads when I use in-line sinkers (eg:bullet weights/dropshot) and have lost a few. I always wondered how the get off there? Some times the bluegills and crappie will hit my bead instead of the actual bait! LOL

14. Muddler

Muddler New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I try to always use beads with a big hole--one that will slide over the knot easily. If you have a sinker with a small hole, I figure you just have the sinker hammering the bead which hammers the knot.
    But I like Pee-Wee's idea of using aquarium tubing. i have a hunk of that around somewhere.

15. bluesbrother

bluesbrother New Member

State:
    texas
    lol thats why i cant find nothing but the plastic ones.thanks yall

16. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Name:
    your first name
    Be careful using aquarium tubing, depending on size the tubing can stretch and slide over your swivel, which can leave your knot exposed. I usually use tubing before the sinker, then put on another piece of tubing and then a bead. It really depends on the size swivel your using. Ive also used spark plug wires as beads too. Just pull the middle out of em with a pair of pliers and your ready to go.