Beads for weights

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by robbor, Feb 3, 2007.

1. robbor

robbor New Member

State:
    Ca
    What does everyone use for a bead next to thier fishing weights?

2. CatfishHateMe

CatfishHateMe New Member

State:
    Il
    i bought a pack of 50 orange beads from wal mart last year and theyve lasted me all this time and i still have about 30 left to use this coming year. im gunna fish alot heavier than last year so i might have to stock up again. but any kind of bead will work some guys swear by beads and some guys say that beads are worse. but i think they look pretty on my line and it looks to me like they work so i use em:lol:

3. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    You aren't fishing enough if you still have beads left.:lol:

If there's a Hobby Lobby or Michaels near you, you can get beads cheap there.

4. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i used to use those beads from the craft section at wallmart, the big orange ones with the huge hole. they are brittle though and tend to break. careful, if you use a bead that has a small hole they tend to weaken the knot right where the bead hits it, you need a bead with a hole large enough to slide over the knot not just butt up against it.. i now use 1/4-3/8 chunks of small diameter rubber automotive vaccuum line that you buy by the foot from the auto-parts store.

5. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    I too prefer a small piece of tube. It snugs down nicely over the knot and protects it perfectly...W

6. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    Good idea thanks for the infro:big_smile:

7. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    Hey Rob welcome to the BOC

8. tnkatman

tnkatman New Member

State:
    Bluff City, TN
    I USE THE BEADS FROM THE CRAFT SECTION IN WAL-MART OR FROM A CRAFT STORE, YOU CAN GET THEM CHEAP THERE.

9. CatfishHateMe

CatfishHateMe New Member

State:
    Il
    lol, thatd be true if i wasnt to lazy to dig for a bead each time i re-riged. out of about 3 times re-riging i prolly only use a bead once.:roll_eyes:

10. robbor

robbor New Member

State:
    Ca
    Wow lots of replies and fast.
    Pastor E, thanks for the welcome:byebye:

I have never used beads with my weights other than for bass a time or two. But I dont normally use any weights for catfish either.
    I think Metalman gets the award for the best:0a24: innovation. Simple yet I bet very effective. Thank you all!

Next question:0a1:, I have always used the palomar for rigging on heavy line but was thinking about snelling my hooks?

11. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    I don't snell conventional and kahle hoods, but do circles. Never noticed it made much difference, though I guess it does in time it takes to rig after a breakoff.

12. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    I've tried beads, but found that they fail under the pressure exerted by the weight on the cast. Anyone else experienced this?

*rushes out to buy tubing*

I sometimes snell, using a uni-knot, but it's mostly entertainment for me...I doubt that it's worth the time it takes.

13. LiquidSteel

LiquidSteel New Member

State:
    La Vista N
    Cabelas here in La Vista is having a huge clearence slae. I got 3 bags of bright orange 6mm 1000 peices per bag for $2.88 each. That should last me for a while. I just need to learn how to use them know.:lol:

14. buddah

buddah New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania Wi
    I just use those little orange, red, green ones from my local tackle shop. I have a pile of them too! lol

15. fisherman94580

fisherman94580 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    So do you guys just use a regular beads, the ones that some people put in they're hair? I know that kinda sounded stupid but o well...

16. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I used to use spark plug wire, just pull out the center piece. Now I use a combination of aquarium air tubing and those orange beads for the walmart fishing section. I use the tubing on top of the beads to give more cushion, if you put the tubing next to the swivel it will slip down over it.

17. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    dink i to use beads from craft section at wally world but after reading your post im on the way to my auto parts store.

18. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    3000 yea id hope they would last if not id like to be the guy selling you tackle. I just bought a bag of 360 and thought that was a lot.

19. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    I never used beads until the beginning of last year. I started out using the plastic or glass beads and it seemed to me that they were doing more damage to the knots than the sinker was. They also broke under pressure fairly easily. I switched to wooden beads that have a bigger diameter hole in them and they have been working really well. They are also cheaper and can be picked up at Michaels or most hobby lobby type shops. Never thought about the small tubing but may give it a try.

20. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    Go to lowes or home depot and find the display with all sizes of air-line tubing or go to a pet store or better yet a pharmacy or pharmacy supply store and get some ari-line tubing they use for people on Oxygen. Thats what I use. It snugs up on the swivel, still lets the other end spin and is super as a shock absorber. Buy 3 ft of hose and you can cut enough 1/2 inch or less pieces to last for years. Beads are hard on your knots.