bead or no bead??

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by LEROYDOZOIS, Dec 6, 2007.

1. LEROYDOZOIS

LEROYDOZOIS New Member

State:
    Arizona
    i cant find any large beads at the tackle shops and the stors and arts & crafts shop here in havasu doesnt have them:0a28:so i was wondering if anyone doesnt use them

i went from eggs to dipsey swivels cause of that but wheir a little pricey for me:cool2:

i dont hit the swivel hard when i reel in to check it so thats why im wondering
    does everyone use beads :0a36:

2. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.

3. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    A great wise man from Tennessee told me about plastic tubein. Works like a champ. Thanx Pete!!!!! LOL!

4. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    Leroy, any arts and crafts store should have a whole isle of beads, dont matter what size or color. Even Wal-Mart should have them. I bet that 99% of folks here use them. They make a big difference.

5. prostreetS10

prostreetS10 New Member

State:
    ohio
    I would say to use them it will save your knot . you should be able to find them really cheap for a lot of them.

6. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    I use the steel and brass beads I find at Walmart. When I see they have some I buy the rack out.

7. BrianD

BrianD Member

State:
    North Carolina
    You can get some of those fat rubberbands like u see on lobster claws in the grocery store and just tie it with a granny knot above, almost on top of your knot. Just trim off the excess ends and it will protect it from the sinker and IMO does a better job than the beeds. They are cheap and easy to find. Hope this helps.................Brian

8. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    Name:
    Mac
    For the longest time I used plastic beads to protect my knot. But, one day an old timer saw my setup and asked me why I used a plastic bead. Ofcourse, I told him that it was to protect my knot. Then he asked me which was harder, plastic or lead. Well, we all know that plastic is harder than lead, so I quit using any kind of bead from that point on. Since that time I have never had a problem with the lead sinker eating away or destroying my knot. But, I retie my rigs probably more often than the average fisherman. Just another thing to ponder. :confused2:

PS, you can go to Wally World sewing section and get a package (200 to 400 count) of beads for a couple of bucks.

9. dafin

dafin New Member

State:
    Manhattan,Kan
    I never use a bead on a cat rig. I do use then on walleye for the color and flash .

10. LEROYDOZOIS

LEROYDOZOIS New Member

State:
    Arizona
    thats the thing,
    i was searching for beads for 2 hrs last week and noone has them
    not kmart,walmart,local craft store, and the bait and tackle didnt have em either

ill probably use the tubing for now:wink:

11. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    what are the steel and brass for?

12. stumpjumper

stumpjumper New Member

State:
    Dallas, GA
    LeRoy, you could probably buy a lifetime's supply on the internet. That's strange that you can't find them anywhere. I really don't use beads anymore. But I do constantly inspect my line and knots. When in doubt retie!

13. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    If ya must use a bead just make sure of one thing. That the knot is goin into the hole in the bead and not just bein smashed against the swivel with the lead and the small hole bead. Ya want the knot to fit in the hole of the bead so the sinker is pushin the bead against the swivel and not the knot. If ya use them small hole beads ya are defeatin the purpose of usein one. Think about it. LOL!

14. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I don't use beads at all. Never have. But I do tie new leaders quite often. I'm constantly checking my line for frays or signs of wear. If I find any sign of wear, I tie a new leader. Better safe than sorry.

15. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    Good tip BG. The whole idea is protect the knot from the weight hitting it. A lot of weights like no-rolls have small holes and will hit the knot. I use 1 and some times 2 beads that have a hole big enough to go over the knot. Might be over kill, but they are cheap and its one less weak spot to worry about when you hook into ol' moby.

16. catfishbills

catfishbills New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I have used a bead, because I feel it protects the knot from the lead, but I know some folks that dont use anything. I make sure and re-tie my main line and put on a new leader regardless!

17. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    I tried beads, but found that they cracked and broke under the load when I really leaned into a cast.

Since no one else seems to have that problem, I'm wondering if I didn't get hold of some rejects. I may try them again.

18. Crucial

Crucial New Member

State:
    Virginia Beach VA
    Ha ha... glad to see some of my advice has not fallen on deaf ears :wink:

If your using heavy leads and have an issue with breaking beads, the best way to go is to use the brass bead's for lure making.
    Google "lure making" and you'll come up wit enough links to keep you in quality machined brass beads for years. They are cheap, closer to the cost of the plastic crap than you might think, and come in sizes that will accommodate everything from crappie rigs to steel leader, shark rigs.

I never, ever, place a piece of lead above a knot with out some sort of "buffer", be it a bead of plastic or brass... the idea of the tubing is fine as well if you can have access to that easier. Hell, use a awl or nail and run your main line through one of those soft-air rubber BB's.. anything to keep that lead from banging into your knot. If it will break a hard bead.. imagine what it will do to your line.

19. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Weights crush plastic and glass beads.
    I cant keep either one on a line using 4 or 5 oz. no rolls.

Brass, no problem.

20. mocat

mocat New Member

State:
    missouri
    I agree with mac, lead is softer than a bead.I don't use them either.some people use sinker slides,but they cost money.maybe the the tubing idea is the cheaper way to go.

this is a good topic