beaching a blue catfish

Discussion in 'Blue Catfishing' started by slikk03, May 24, 2009.

1. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    never got into blues until this year, got a ten and a 15, im used to flats, so i o to a lake stocked with blues,clickers on, cut bloody bluegill, clikker screams so fast im thinking this is huge, by how hard it hit, set the hook , i was thinking man this is, a blue, it was pulling, but not going down to the bottem, then i got it to the bank thinking, its worn out, and ill grab it, it wuoldent qwit swiming like a flathead, so i grabed it, by the mouth, and blood come out my fingers, it just claped down, and i pulled it out,then i started thinking if im on the bank, whats a 50 pounder gonna be like to beach, flats fight harder, but blues dont give up at the bank, so what do u do stick your hand in there , they are hard to grip, becouse they have a different mouth and they cut, u,, not like a flat at all or a channel,

2. Jacksmooth

Jacksmooth Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Get a net or wear a glove.

3. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    yea i ges thats a smart thing to do, but i dont want to look like mickel jackson,lol

4. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I always use a net.....and when handling large bluecats by the mouth....I use a glove!!!!! Them cats bite hard and will try to rip your arm off!!!:wink:

5. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    I also bank fish and all my Blues are landed by hand...I don't even own a net. I keep a leather glove in each pocket and carry pliers on me also. When I get him close to shore I put on my left glove. When he is in arms reach I grab the leader with my right hand pulling his head out as far as I can and go for his mouth with the gloved hand. Get him on shore some then pull the hook, then you will be able to get both hands on him. Its about impossible to mouth a 30# blue with one hand for long, especially with your rod in the other hand...get that hook out asap.

The hard part is the rolling, and man they will roll..hand in there or not. Be careful of the line wrapping around him because it will cut him or even cut a fin really bad or off.

Playing him is one way but expect to spend more time with him on releasing cause he will be so worn out.

In my album you will notice most of my fish are dirty and I have that glove on from bank fishing. And yea...they bite nothing like flatheads do, they will take all your hide.

This is my way, might be better ways but I've never lost a fish and have landed fish over 50# before...not my fish but I did land them, LOL.

6. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    i alwas wanderd why people never held them in that pose, after geting a 15 i found out, they are agitable and thrash, its not the bite so much its how they shake there head that cuts you up, i gues a blues more violent out of water and a flats more violent in water

7. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Sorry, I just don't think a flat head is meaner than a blue, in the water, out of the water, or on the 5th Sunday of the month. Blues are just bad.

8. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    grow a pair and get your hand in there lol:tounge_out: scars are cool. i never bring a glove or net. with just a hand in their mouth they can flop and roll and tear you up but if you can get the other hand under their bellie theyll calm down.

9. alton

alton New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Landing them in the rocks also makes for a good show. I have landed up to #50 blues in the rocks and I don't wear a glove or own a net. I just get my hand in the gill and try to get him to stop rolling and drag him over the rocks. The fight with a big blue is never over till you have him completely out of the water. I do think the glove is a good idea.

10. o'boro cat hunter

o'boro cat hunter New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Team Catfish grippers work great in my boat and I would say they work for bank fishermen as well.Very cheap and durable.

11. 1mickymoo

1mickymoo New Member

State:
    Edgerton, Kansas
    i agree, blues a mean.

12. recordbreakin1

recordbreakin1 New Member

State:
    texas
    I WOULD GET A NET YOU NEVER KNOW WHEN YOU MIGHT NEED ONE.A BLUE IS BAD ABOUT ROLLING ON YOU SO ITS HARD TO GET A HAND IN ITS MOUTH SOME TIMES.IF I GET A BIG ONE THOUGH AND ALL I HAVE IS MY HAND TO LAND IT I WILL NOT THINK TWICE ABOUT IT.

13. Grimpuppy

Grimpuppy New Member

State:
    Concordia, KS

Grippers are the way to go. They seam to stop rolling when you get grippers on them. Blues get real mad when they get to the boat and spin like a Tasmanian Devil.

14. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    yea they are not as calm as the flathead, i do agree there more energeti, and fight the hardest at the bank, but as far vas pulling powe a flat wins, streanth, but i agre va blue has a mouth you can harly grab, ,this is a new game for me, and i hate grabing there gills, they die eayser than a flathead, i think its a two man thing, ill pm willie about this,hes a bank master, man, i cant spell, should of not slept in school, lol

15. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    You said yourself you haven't caught many blues. I cant see where you can fully judge the run of a good big blue yet. A lot of places don't have big blues so the flathead guys say flats fight the best when they haven't been able to appreciate fighting both on a regular basis.

I see that a lot here and I wanted to get that off my chest, no intentions to PO anyone but unless you fight both, you don't know ; )

16. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    <I also bank fish and all my Blues are landed by hand...I don't even own a net.>

You are much too modest, oh great one!! :wink:

Bill in SC

17. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    YOUR RIGHT, I HAVENT HOOKED INTO A 50 POUND BLUE, , NOT THAT IM TIRED OF FLATHEAD FISHING, BLUECATS, JUST SEEM MORE FUN, TO ME, I LANDED A 15, AND HAD A BLAST, THEY, FIGHT HARD, AND THEY BITE, FLATHEADS ARE, AWSOM, BUT IM READY FOR SOMETHING, A LITTLE MORE AGREESIV,WEN FIGHTING, ALSO, BLUES, ARE, FUNNY, WEN YOU TRY TO KEEP THEM STILL, THEY THRASH, IM READY TO LAND A 40 OR UP,

18. Welder

Welder New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I have grabbed 50+ blues and payed for it in blood and a sore wrist. Not to mention a good one can break ya hand or wrist, if you get it in his mouth sideways. I have forgot the net a time or 2 and payed my dues. Be safe get a net its better for you and the fish. Cause you ever get a monster blue you ant gona win grabbin him. Ya gona end up hurt or with a hook in ya, hooked to him and it ant gona feel good or turn out good for ya. Take the time to net em or use a boa grip on em. Then spine grip em get a pic and share the story. Leave the jaw grabben for the flatts

19. beespringer

beespringer New Member

State:
    sunfish, k
    I couldnt agree more

20. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    get you an ultra lite rod and reel then everythings agressive :wink: