Beachballing for catfish

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by nathan king, Apr 25, 2006.

1. nathan king

nathan king New Member

State:
    vernon tx
    I recently seen some huge cats brought in while fishing near a dam. the guys were doing whats known as beachballing by attaching a ballon or some sort of flotation device to a reel that will hold a tremendous amout of line. they attach it and let it float up to the dam in the back wash i understand the concept but how do you attach your balloon or beachball top your line and how do you know what depth to set it at this is a technique that ive been wanting to learn for some time and i cant get anyone to tell me how to do it. all the guys i know that do this treat it like its a goverment secret and wont give me a srait answer,,,,, so i come to the BOC for answers come on guys someone help me out or will it be one of those best kept secrets.:crying:

2. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Yeah it is an awesome technique for getting big bait's out! Personally only way I know how to do it is just tie the ballon straight on my line however deep I want my bait to be. There are other technique's that work better, one involves using a lifesaver, but using that rig just make's it so you can float a big bait out and then let it sink to the bottom.

I personally am not an expert at this technique so I probably can't be much help to you.

3. ears

ears New Member

State:
    *Required*
    They use what is called a pin rig for sharks around here. You clothespin a balloon to your line and let the wind take it out. If you want to bottom fish just give the rod a jerk when it is where you want it and it will pop out and sink. You can also tie it to your line with a rubber band that will break.

I will say a lot of piers wont allow them because they can tangle a lot of lines the way they drift. Just make sure you wont be drifting right through other lines.

4. haroldlp

haroldlp New Member

State:
    IN
    How my dad and I did it at Truman Lake below the dam, was to use a radio controlled boat. The kind kids play with, we put a piece of Styrofoam on the stern laid our bait on it. Then just open the bail on our reel and use the RC to run up to where we wanted to place the bait, then an easy pull on the line and the bait dropped off.

Back then you were not allowed to cross the chains to get close enough to cast to the tail water, but could if needed in order to fight a fish. We used to catch flats and blues that way as big as 60 to 70 lbs every trip. Got the idea for using the boat from some old timers in Osceola that did it all the time.

5. nathan king

nathan king New Member

State:
    vernon tx
    thanks i appreciate the comments i acctually thought about using a remote control boat think i will.

6. SeedTick

SeedTick New Member

State:
    Conway Arkansas
    Hey Nathan, Check out the library. There are some posts about remote control boats for putting your bait where you want it. At least there use to be, I'm pretty sure it got moved over. It even showed how to build your own.

ST

7. Big Sam

Big Sam Well-Known Member

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    :big_smile: Nathan..bring a beach ball and some nylon cord...the kind you make trotlines with to our next tournament on the 13th and I will show you how to tie a cage on the ball and make a drop:big_smile: Joe said you asked me at the round-uo..I apologize I did not hear you..glad to show you how though.

8. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    My uncle used to use that trick. He'd tie a slip knot below where the balloon stem was knotted with a few feet hanging down to the bait. When he got it out to where he wanted it, a fast yank on the pole untied the slip knot and let the bait sink.

9. nathan king

nathan king New Member

State:
    vernon tx
    Greg thanks for the Links i did enjoy the reading, and Big Sam i will do that see you at tourny.:wink: