**Beach Camping**

Discussion in 'Camping Talk' started by DoubleG, Aug 27, 2008.

1. DoubleG

DoubleG New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I was wondering if anyone knew of a campground that allowed tent camping on the beach? I don't mean next to or close to the beach or behind the sand dune, I mean on the sand hoping a wave does not get me wet.. I have searched the web many times and can't find any info that amounts to anything. Any help you may have would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Gary..

2. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    Unless things have changed, you can camp on the beaches in Texas.

3. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    Texas, Padre Island National Seashore. Alaska, Homer Spit. And probably a couple I missed :wink: In 1995 I did a bicycle tour down the Baja peninsula and beach camped about half the nights. It was great, just be sure you are well above the high tide line. I never got swamped, but the waves got close enough a few nights to give me some concern. If you ever get a chance to go to Baja, I highly recommend it.

4. stumpjumper

stumpjumper New Member

State:
    Dallas, GA
    Makena Beach on Maui is hard to beat.

5. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Don't know how experienced you are in beach camping, but here are a couple of pointers. Just like sleeping on the ground anywhere, you'll want to dig a hip hole; but on the beach, the wind almost constantly blows the sand, so you also need to protect yourself against it. Make sure you're high enough up on the beach that you can dig a hole without it filling with water, and dig a trench to sleep in, piling the sand on the windward side. If you can find some boards or logs washed up, add them to the pile on the windward side; this will provide a windbreak and catch most of the sand. Watch out for crabs. Never had one hurt me, but they've scared the crap out of me, checking me out to see if I was any good to eat. Never, never, never lay your reel down on the sand! Get you a couple or three pieces of 1 1/2" - 2" pvc and cut them in two, making the cuts at an extreme angle so that the cuts are about a foot long, providing a long sharp point on one end of each shorter piece. This will stick down into the sand easily, providing rodholders for you that can be easily moved. You'll probably find 2 or 3 'bars' off the beach...sandbars running parallel to the beach, with deeper water between. In between the bars is a good place to fish. Wading out to fish off the sandbars during low tide can also be productive, but you MUST watch out for the incoming tide that can strand you. Don't wade out at night; that's when the sharks come in close.

6. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    Park your vehicle so that others will have to hit it before they sun over you.

I'm not kidding...people get run over on beaches every year.

7. lance

lance New Member

State:
    kentucky
    I am not sure but check the outer banks north carolina they fish for stripers and blues there and it seems like you could though .

8. DoubleG

DoubleG New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Thanks for all the input. Lance, you can camp on the Outer Banks and Ocracoke but you are behind sand dunes. I have stayed on the Beach but that was before being Married w/Child. I am looking for somewhere for the family to go and be right on the water. I had a fella telling today about a place called Hunter's Island. He said it was close to Savannah, Ga. I prefer the East Coast but may have to look at Texas based on your guy's post. Thanks..

9. smackover

smackover New Member

State:
    Georgia
    That place is Hunting Island.

Out of Beaufort, Sc. just a bit north of Savannah, Ga.

Last I knew campsites had been relocated from beachfront to an area near teh beach.

Besides, having camped on the beach in the wind
    would rather camp behind the dunes and walk over to the beach.

Surf fishing is good there too.

Regards,

Smackover

10. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    just got back from a camping trip on the texas coast and im here to tell you if you can camp on thebeach where the wind blows.them skeeters are hot and its only way to get any kind of releaf.

11. smackover

smackover New Member

State:
    Georgia
    I yield to your experience in this matter.

I have been to the Tx Coast and to Mena Ark.

Mena Ark has skeeters big as young turkeys.
    Think those things in Tx might have been gnats

Regards,

Smackover

12. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    them coastal skeeters are bout 1/10th the size of our hillbilly skeeters but when 10,000 hit you at one time its like youve had scalding water poured on you to get you ready for scrapeing.