Be Safe

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Vonroc, Nov 3, 2007.

  1. Vonroc

    Vonroc New Member

    Messages:
    268
    State:
    Central Ohio
    Just wanted to warn everyone of something that just happened to me, watch out! Was just sitting around watch TV, had my little floor heater running. This is a heater I've been using for a year or so with no problems. It was plugging into a heavy duty extension cord. As I was watch TV I noticed a small speed change of the fan, didn't think anything about it. Minutes later I noticed a faint odor passed it of thinking maybe the dog passed gas.The second time I heard the fan speed change I looked toward the heater then the extension cord. At the point where the heater plugged into the extension cord I noticed at whiff of smoke. This was lying on the carpet and it was starting to melt at that connection. Quickly I turned the heater off and unplugged it from the wall. Had I been asleep, in another room or if my boys had been using this without paying attention this could have been really bad. I'm sure this is how houses burn down and people lose their lives everyday as winter approaches. This time I was very lucky no damages what so ever. This is a lesson I will never forget. For everyone out there using any kind of additional heaters please be safe and pay close attention at all times.
     
  2. alands94

    alands94 Active Member

    Messages:
    1,706
    State:
    Lebanon, I
    Thanks for the post. We can never be too careful.
     

  3. Kat-tamer

    Kat-tamer New Member

    Messages:
    875
    State:
    Missouri
    I burnt a whole in the carpet with one once. Every small heater I have ever used has done that. I now will only plug one into the wall and then I have to check the cord several times to make sure it aint hot. I don't like to use them at all anymore, but sometimes it's necessary. The last 2 I have owned were those little ceramic heaters. I've been pretty lucky with them, except when the dog chewed through the cord!:eek:oooh:
     
  4. pk_powell

    pk_powell New Member

    Messages:
    3,485
    State:
    Missouri
    It was very kind of you to post this. I totally agree with your post. Thank you again.~~~~~Sister Pat:big_smile:
     
  5. MRR

    MRR New Member

    Messages:
    4,947
    State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    for the heads ups.Don't use them myself but know a lot of people who does. Got to be real careful with those things .Also anyone who uses kerosene heaters be real care also.I have used them in the past with no problem but you have to really watch them.Not with overheating as much as the fumes. Just be careful everyone.