Be Prepared!!

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by RetiredToFish, Apr 19, 2008.

1. RetiredToFish

RetiredToFish New Member

State:
    Newark, Ohio
    We are all aware that the fishing season is upon us. We have all spent days, weeks if not months preparing for this time. Many of you have only the weekends to fish and the time is not enough to quell the anxieties that fill your every waking minute. This excitement is to be expected from even the novice fisherman that has ever caught one nice fish, but are we really prepared to harness all of that energy?

Being prepared with our boats, tackle and bait is definitely not enough. To be fully prepared we must also be mentally prepared. Not being fully mentally prepared can cause you hurt and damage, not only to body, but also your boat and equipment.

As many of you know that in a past life I was a state and federal wildlife officer and after that a deputy sheriff. I have observed and participated in, much of what most can only have nightmares about. I have observed many people that during their regular work day and life are very self conscience about their safety habits, all of a sudden toss all caution to the wind when they are participating in a recreational pursuit like fishing and boating.

In my time in law enforcement I assisted in pulling 30 bodies from the water. One year alone it was 13 bodies. This is what I would like to tell you about.

Every year there are always boating accidents. Most time there is alcohol involved. Operating a watercraft is no difference than driving a car and when you get several boat operators in an area that have been drinking you chances of having a fatal accident on the water greatly increases. In the case as far as this posting is concerned I want to stay pretty close to talking about accidents involving fisherman.

Some of the causes of drowning of fisherman I have observed are:

Not knowing the limitations of your boat or motor therefore overloading with people and/or equipment and going out onto a lake when it is too rough.

Trying to operate your boat in unfamiliar water, i.e., river or lake and hitting a rock, sandbar or submerged log.

Trying to operate your boat when the river is too high and with floating debris.

Getting caught out when a heavy fog comes rolling in and still trying to navigate when you can’t see properly.

And the number one reason for drowning of fisherman … standing up leaning over the railing trying to Pee …. That is right. This alone has taught me to take a can in the boat and use it and pour it over the side.

All of these things become even more important when you consider that many of us like to fish all night. Think about it …. You have worked all day Friday at your job and you run home, jump in your boat and try and fish all night. I know I have done so myself … You have slower reflexes and react more slowly. The worst part of the scenario is you may not be the only one on the river that night. You might have someone out there that has been drinking alcohol or fishing in the dark without the proper light requirement.

No matter how prepared we are if we are not prepared mentally to expect the worst, if it should happen, we may not survive to fish another day. It is my desrie that I don’t have to read about any of you being involved in any kind of boating accident. So be careful and be prepared. The life you safe, might be mine.

God Bless all and I hope for a very prosperous fishing year.

Garry-

2. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    dragging this back to the top.... this is very valuable information from someone that has seen, dealt, and been a part of the outdoors with plenty experience. If ONE person reads this, and it saves an accident it was worth it! Everyone be careful. Don't take anything for granted by being comfortable with what you are used to! It only takes one time to change your life and your familys forever! BE CAREFUL!! Great write up Garry, thank you.......rollo

3. Mizzbigcat

Mizzbigcat New Member

State:
    Warren County Ohio

Thanks for reminding us how this can very easily happen to us. My older brother sunk his boat already at Rocky Fork this year, and he's a sober man. You can never be careful enough.

4. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Thats good looking out. Thanks for the safety update and tips. This type of info is always welcome and a good reminder of what the right this is!

5. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    Great Advice Gary,Thanks and God Bless. J.D.

6. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    another mistake that has been made, and I learned this first hand is proper anchoring of your boat! I about sunk a boat a few years back fishing the river in high water conditions. I like to anchor off the front and back of the boat. Well I was in more current than I should have been in, and when the back anchor snagged up and the fron't didn't hold up stream, I found myself sideways in the current with the back of the boat being pulled down. I quickly grabbed a knife and cut the rope to the back of the boat. lost the anchor, but saved the boat. I see how accidents can happen, and quickly by a thoughtless decision! I know now only fish areas that are safer in high water, and pay attention to how im gonna anchor before throwing it overboard. Just alittle thought maybe some of you haven't considered.....goodluck, rollo

7. RetiredToFish

RetiredToFish New Member

State:
    Newark, Ohio
    Thanks Jason ... That is another MENTAL mistake we all make from time to time. I have seen this anchor mistake result in lost boats come up several times.

A thought and trick to keep in mind if you are fishing in such conditions and/or where there are a lot of under-water obstructions that might hang your anchor, carry a plastic gallon milk jug with you. Tie the milk jug on your anchor line a couple of feet below the where you tie the anchor off to a cleet. If you get into a situation like Jason said or the anchor hung on the bottom you can release the line from the boat and the jug will keep the end of the rope afloat. Most often if your anchor is hung you can power your boat up stream from the anchoring point and pull the anchoor loose. Just grab the milk jug as you go by it and hang on. ........ Garry-

8. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I say cut the rope.!
    A good thing to keep in mind is the worth of material things. I wonder how many people have lost their lives or been responsible for another's just because they were trying to save an $80.00 reel. Ask yourself this question before you do any thing even remotely dangerous. What would you trade your life for?:wink:

9. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    Great post Garry! Lets all be safe out there on the water. Use common sense and have a safe, fun time fishing!:0a24:

10. RetiredToFish

RetiredToFish New Member

State:
    Newark, Ohio

11. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Gary, I thought we were talking life and death here? I wouldn't get invited back on Loanwizards boat if I cut the anchor rope every time I went out with him and we got hung up! lol As for who is faster? I keep my knife at the ready when anchored to cut line, bait and any rabid water dogs that might attack, but that hasn't happened yet...:wink::smile2::smile2::smile2:

12. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    jack, do you ever get tired of being the anchor/netman? lol.... all you have to do is buy a boat!! man in the back is in control in case you didn't know!:smile2::eek:oooh: rollo

13. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio

Jason, now what does that have to do with the price of eggs in South Pago Pago?
    It may behoove you to quit hijacking Garry's threads. You may put him over the edge and that my friend could be dangerous to your well being if you ever go fishing with him. Humm??? I wonder how many people meet their demise each year from a buddy accidentally knocking them out of the boat? :crazy::eek:oooh::tounge_out::smile2:

14. RetiredToFish

RetiredToFish New Member

State:
    Newark, Ohio
    Hey JACK ... Do you want to out in my boat with me this summer and find out .... :eek:oooh: .... Garry-

15. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I think you both should just go with me.... we will have a wave of a time! :eek:oooh: rollo

16. SVTFisherman

SVTFisherman New Member

State:
    Ohio - West Chester
    Great Post! I'm new to this forum, but I am already appreciating the time I spend reading these posts.

Lets all hope we all stay safe this year!