BE Good To Your Fillet Knife, And It Will Be Good To You!

Discussion in 'Misc Fishing Tackle Talk' started by Netmanjack, Mar 6, 2006.

1. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I think perhaps, that we have all had trouble with our fillet knifes at one time or another, some to the extent that they have abandoned them for electric knives. Now we all know that a dull knife is the most dangerous, or we should know that. A sharp knife can be dangerous also especially working with a slippery fish, always cut away from your self, with slow purposeful strokes. Don’t be in a hurry to cut your self.

When we purchased our fillet knife it was in all probability very sharp. With correct usage, storage and maintenance it should still perform like new for many years. After all, fish flesh is not a very abrasive substance, say like old shoe leather or steel wool.
    I am certain that if you follow these few simple tips, it will make your experience with your fillet knife much more satisfying.

My fillet knife never leaves the house, it’s never seen a riverbank or boat. It is all too tempting to grab the closest knife and cut fishing line, anchor rope, sharpen sticks or cut bait. Your knife will always be safe from these hazards if kept at home or in the camp kitchen. I carry a hunting knife or a pocketknife for these duties.

When you are cleaning a fish, don’t use your fillet knife, have a butcher knife or cleaver close at hand for this work. Nothing will dull your fillet knife faster than fish scales, bone and cutting board surfaces. Remember, it is called a fillet knife for a reason.

Before each job I lightly stroke the blade on a honing steel, just a few quick passes will suffice. This sets the burs on the knife-edge back in place, maintaining it’s sharpness. When I’ve finished, my knife gets thoroughly cleaned and dried then replaced in it’s leather sheath untill needed again. Unprotected knives get nicked and dulled even in a kitchen drawer. A sharp clean fillet knife equals safer, faster and easier filleting.

When the time comes that your fillet knife does need to be re sharpened, it will be a much less time consuming job. After all, why get frustrated or maybe cut, when a little fore thought and care could prevent it?

As the old adage says “ there is a job for every tool, and a tool for every job”