Be carefull out there on the rivers!!!!

Discussion in 'IOWA RIVERS TALK' started by rippinlips, Jun 22, 2009.

1. rippinlips

rippinlips New Member

State:
    iowa
    MOUNT PLEASANT, Iowa - Authorities say two people swam to safety after their boat stalled and then floated backwards over a dam in Mount Pleasant.

Mark Stout and his passenger, Sharon Corron, both of Mount Pleasant, traveled up the Skunk River on Saturday and tried to cross the Oakland Mills Dam.

Tony Millard of the Henry County Conservation Department says they tried to go over the dam in a small boat with a small motor. He says they got to the crest of the dam, then "ran out of power and it sunk them."
    The boat went backward and filled with water.

Stout and Carron swam ashore more than a mile downriver from the dam.

Stout was cited for reckless use of a water craft.

A service of the Associated Press(AP)

2. recordbreakin1

recordbreakin1 New Member

State:
    texas
    You can realy get hurt on the water no matter if your on a river, creek or lake.

3. thegavel

thegavel New Member

State:
    West Des Moines, Iowa
    Makes ya go hmmm...

Do people normally drive over this dam?

4. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Yep, be careful!!

Missing boater presumed drowned in Ohio River
    June 22, 2009 11:54 AM

PARKERSBURG, W.Va.

Crews are continuing to search the Ohio River for a man presumed drowned after a boating accident that killed his father two days earlier.

Sgt. Clyde Armstead of the Division of Natural Resources in Parkersburg says firefighters were in a recovery mode as they scoured the river Monday for the body of 20-year-old Jeremy Midcap of Parkersburg.

DNR officials say he was on a boat carrying seven people that capsized on Saturday near Blennerhassett Island.

Wood County Coroner Mike St. Clair says Midcap's father, 50-year-old David Midcap of Parkersburg, was declared dead at Camden-Clark Memorial Hospital. Five others made it safely to shore.

5. IA Flatcatter

IA Flatcatter New Member

State:
    SE IA. on the skunk river
    How does that saying go... you just can't cure stupid. That dam normally has about 8' to 10' drop at normal flow. The skunk river is bank full right now and has to be really rolling thru the dam area. To try and run any boat up thru there would be worse than stupid!:0a20:
    "hey guys watch this"

6. thegavel

thegavel New Member

State:
    West Des Moines, Iowa
    was just making sure I wasn't out of my mind!!!

7. shanelures

shanelures New Member

State:
    ohio
    man thats crazy. if someone wants to do something that dumb they should do it alone not put others in danger!i could'nt imagine going over any dam no mater what size! shane

8. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    ......yea, he needed to be cited for stupidity.........

9. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Yup..stupid needs a cure ...moron what were ya thinking?

10. iabowhunter

iabowhunter New Member

State:
    South East Iowa
    I've seen people get on top of it and ride it down before when it's low. I don't stick around long when they start doing that stuff. I have also sat on the catwalk over the dam and watched logs go over the lowhead. They usually get tumbled around for a few minutes then the river spits them out. Some people are nuts!

11. justwannano

justwannano Active Member

State:
    SE Iowa
    I've seen them go over it in a canoe before.
    One guy I know boasts walking under the curl is it goes over the dam.
    I also know a guy that dived off the top of the walking bridge.
    Saw a guy boat over the rollers at L&D 17 on the mississippi before.

Lots of nut cases out there.

Be safe
    just

12. ronniethomas

ronniethomas Member

State:
    iowa
    i was out fishing the Redfield dam a few years back when a couple of guys showed ub with a canoe and were talking about riding it over the dam once they got the canoe off the top of their vehicle i started to reel in my poles and thanked them for ruining my fishing cause i wasn't gonna stick around to call an ambulance if they got hurt, or most likely would have been killed. don't know if they went through with it or not don't remember seeing anything on the news the next day.

13. bigfoot914

bigfoot914 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    you should always show water respect it is a powerful force that a lot of people take for granted

14. IAcrankbait

IAcrankbait New Member

State:
    Iowa