Be careful!!!

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by kat in the hat, Sep 16, 2008.

1. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    With all the flooding going on this year, I thought it would be a good idea to share this story with everybody.

Saturday night, at about 3 am, the assistant manager of the store that I work, a locally raised fellow about 22 years old, made a deadly mistake. He drove his car, a '97 Mustang GT, into water that was running over the road, and had done so several times in the same location that same day. Well, the water had risen a few feet, and his car got swept from the road, and downstream about 50'. He climbed out of the window, and onto the roof of the car.

There was a vehicle behind him with 2 passengers. A man, and his girlfriend. They got out, to see what happened. As the man was calling 911, his girlfriend thought it would be a good idea to try and make a rescue. She was swept away in the current, and was found dead a quarter of a mile downstream.

This happened in town in Columbia Mo. City officials claim that they placed barricades there earlier in the evening, and that someone must have removed them.

Anyways, don't be a fool, and attempt to drive your vehicle through flood water, and if at all possible, try and wait for the fire and rescue squad instead of attempting a rescue yourself. I know that is situational, and when someone needs help right away, sometimes you gotta do wahat ya gotta do. In this case, the death was senseless. You cannot swim in flood water, and a rescue team has eqipment to help in such cases, and was only minutes away in this case. It doesn't take a whole bunch of rushing water to ruin your day, or take your life either. Just a few feet deep is sufficient.

2. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Matt an excellent post with good advice. Thanks.

3. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    Prayers sent from Nevada.

4. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Reps sent for an important ,sensible heads up notice.
    Bill in SC

5. hunted

hunted New Member

State:
    washington court house,oh
    thanks for the reminder

6. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    thanks Kat

7. Ulikedew

Ulikedew New Member

State:
    Georgetown IN
    Thanks for the heads up

8. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

Yep, good info bro. Sad stuff there. Not everyone has common sense ALL of the time.....and occasionally it ends up rather badly.

9. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    good advice ,DONT DO IT !!!

10. dankitch

dankitch New Member

State:
    Henderson,
    How many times do people have to be told not to do that???? I don't understand it!! Good advice though Kat.

11. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    That's what I think too! I don't understand it either. I can't imagine how bad he feels knowing somebody died trying to rescue him because of stupidity. I can't decide which one was more stupid.

12. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Good post, thanks for sharing